Question Will shorting the pwr switch with only the psu turn on lights

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
I want to test my motherboard to check for signs of life before I place my cpu in it. Am I able to just connect the psu to the motherboard, a GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, and have lights turn on?

USAFRet

Titan
I want to test my motherboard to check for signs of life before I place my cpu in it. Am I able to just connect the psu to the motherboard, a GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, and have lights turn on?
That test proves nothing.
The lights may or may not come on. That tests nothing as far as functionality of the PSU or motherboard.
Put it ALL together, then power it up.

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
That test proves nothing.
The lights may or may not come on. That tests nothing as far as functionality of the PSU or motherboard.
Put it ALL together, then power it up.

I'm just worried about the possibility of the cpu frying my motherboard because I've received 3 DOA motherboards as of late. I think the power supply is the issue and bought a new one to confirm.

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
Again, that test proves nothing.

What were these DOA boards?
What PSU?

it doesn't prove nothing because the last 3 board showed zero signs of life, no fans no lights... if the new power supply proves it can at least power the motherboard the test proves that it was the old power supply causing the issues to some extent. I want to at least confirm the board has the ability to turn on before I put the cpu in it.

Motherboard:GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
PSU: CX550M Corsair