Will Someone with Premiere Pro 1.5 Help Test Something?

Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm hoping that someone with Premiere Pro 1.5 or 1.5.1 will run a little
experiment for me to see if you can duplicate what appears to be a software
bug that I think I may have found.

I described the problem that I've encountered in a post to this newsgroup on
April 22nd, entitled "Premiere Pro Adobe Encoder Crashes w/ 16:9 (1.2)
Stills". Since then, I think that I've identified the combination of things
that causes the problem. I'd therefore like to know if my results can be
replicated on someone else's machine, provided the same input parameters are
used. TIA to anyone willing to try this. If you do, please post your
results here.

The essence of the problem is that Premiere Pro's integrated Adobe Encoder
causes a complete system lockup (necessitating a warm reboot) when it's used
to export to any of the mpeg formats, a widescreen (16:9, 1.2) timeline
containing a 740x480 pixel still image that has both a 1.2 pixel aspect
ratio and a very high overall luminance.

The 'test' I'm hoping someone will perform is this: Create a 720x480 image
in Photoshop CS using the "NTSC DV Widescreen" preset, which automatically
creates a 720x480 pixel, pure white image, whose pixels have the 1.2 aspect
ratio. Save this image so that it can be imported into Premiere Pro 1.5 or
1.5.1.

Create a new project in Premiere Pro using the preset for "NTSC DV
Widescreen 48kHz". Import the image previously created in Photoshop CS.
Drag the image to the timeline with the default length of 5 seconds. Render
the timeline. Go to File-->Export-->Adobe Media Encoder and export the
timeline to MPEG2-DVD using the first preset which is "NTSC DV 16:9 Low
Quality 3MB VBR 1 Pass". Begin the export. If you have same experience as
me, your computer will freeze and require a warm restart. My experience has
also been that this happens for any of the MPEG formats. I just suggested a
specific preset for test purposes. The crash does not happen if the still
image has a non-widescreen pixel aspect ratio (that is, 0.9) or low overall
luminance. For 98% luminence I've found that 1 pass encoding generally
works but the crash occurs during the second pass of 2 pass encoding. For
luminance values 97% and below, the export proceeds OK. The picture does not
have to be pure white to cause the crash, so long as the overall luminance
is 98% to100%. For example, the crash does occur with a solid colour image
of RGB 90,255,255, which has a luminance of 99%.

Hopefully someone will try this experiment and post your results. Not that
I'm wishing 'trouble' upon anyone, but I hope you have the same experience
as I do. I'd hate to think that such a 'wierd' bug is specific to my
system. BTW, my OS is Windows XP Pro sp2.

Mardon wrote:
> I'm hoping that someone with Premiere Pro 1.5 or 1.5.1 will run a little
> experiment for me to see if you can duplicate what appears to be a software
> bug that I think I may have found.
>
> I described the problem that I've encountered in a post to this newsgroup on
> April 22nd, entitled "Premiere Pro Adobe Encoder Crashes w/ 16:9 (1.2)
> Stills". Since then, I think that I've identified the combination of things
> that causes the problem. I'd therefore like to know if my results can be
> replicated on someone else's machine, provided the same input parameters are
> used. TIA to anyone willing to try this. If you do, please post your
> results here.
>
> The essence of the problem is that Premiere Pro's integrated Adobe Encoder
> causes a complete system lockup (necessitating a warm reboot) when it's used
> to export to any of the mpeg formats, a widescreen (16:9, 1.2) timeline
> containing a 740x480 pixel still image that has both a 1.2 pixel aspect
> ratio and a very high overall luminance.
>
> The 'test' I'm hoping someone will perform is this: Create a 720x480 image
> in Photoshop CS using the "NTSC DV Widescreen" preset, which automatically
> creates a 720x480 pixel, pure white image, whose pixels have the 1.2 aspect
> ratio. Save this image so that it can be imported into Premiere Pro 1.5 or
> 1.5.1.

Email me said image and I'll give it a try. I don't own CS (wish I did!)

--

- Captain Slick

Mardon wrote:

> Hopefully someone will try this experiment and post your results. Not that
> I'm wishing 'trouble' upon anyone, but I hope you have the same experience
> as I do. I'd hate to think that such a 'wierd' bug is specific to my
> system. BTW, my OS is Windows XP Pro sp2.

Mardon,

It did not crash for me and the output looked fine on playback.
--

- Captain Slick

Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Captain Slick" <captainslick@verizon.net> wrote...
> Mardon wrote:
>> Hopefully someone will try this experiment and post your results.
>> Not that I'm wishing 'trouble' upon anyone, but I hope you have
>> the same experience as I do. I'd hate to think that such a 'wierd'
>> bug is specific to my system. BTW, my OS is Windows XP Pro sp2.
>
> Mardon,
> It did not crash for me and the output looked fine on playback.
> - Captain Slick

Thanks for giving it a try. I guess the trouble is specific to my systme
then but I'm at a loss as to why. Thanks again for helping.