Will Staples' New Win 8 Ad Campaign Offend Customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they be offended? Win8 IS different in terms of experience and you don't have to be a guru to know that.

Also, it's a good solution for when (like the video states) no one wants to teach you about it and don't feel like doing some self-learning.

Cheers!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Metro is not complicated, it's stupid. And Windows 8 is not selling very well, so we may see a rollback of some of the more insane design choices.[/citation]

Well it makes sense for smartphones and tablets and even those hybrid touch laptop/tablet devices.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Come on! how could that offend anybody?? I'm a teen and I like the ad, and so does my parents. I think it's a good ad, but might not be MSFT's favourite ad..

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Well it makes sense for smartphones and tablets and even those hybrid touch laptop/tablet devices.[/citation]

Exactly, and since those are not selling, there won't be a point of Microsoft forcing Metro on users, so I expect to see a service pack that restores the Start Menu and allows Metro apps to run windowed in desktop mode. It will be the cheapest way for Microsoft to deal with the problem.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Kevin, I know a lot of the industry depends on Microsoft's ecosystem doing well, that includes developers, retailers and journalists to some extent, but your assessment of what Windows 8 is and what people make it out to be is biased, and your following quotes provide good indication of that:

Now that Windows 8 has been in the hands of consumers for the past several weeks, talk of the new Modern UI casting a dark shadow over the Windows platform has somewhat subsided. Many have discovered that the new Windows installment just isn't the monster many critics tried to describe.

People who have criticized Windows 8 with more than just the single line sentence have actually given good reasons as to why subverting the user paradigm on the desktop, by making the desktop a Modern (once called Metro) app, and not the other way around is conceptually wrong and that whole misconception then translates into a user experience which is lacking in many respects. And this leads me to the second quote:

But as we've seen since the release of Windows 95, the desktop will likely pushed to the side in favor of the Modern UI just as DOS has with each new release of the Windows platform. DOS is still there (Command Prompt), and Microsoft will undoubtedly do the same with the desktop, tucking it away and out of sight.

This somehow implies (although I'm not sure that is your objective intention) that one day desktop PCs will become nothing more than a glorified, supersized smartphone or tablet, where you can't have more than two programs on your screen at once. The underlying conceptualization that the Modern UI will take over the much superior desktop on proper work computers is not only outlandish but also ridiculous. It's actually akin to saying that DOS is better than Windows. If you don't like or need to multitask, perhaps (and even then we'd be having an argument about it).

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Nope, nothing offending to me. Somebody's making a big fuzz out of nothing. Seems like a typical commercial where a company is trying to offer some added-value to distinguish itself from the other typical stores.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
This entire article seems a bit sensationalist. Tom's has really gone to the dogs lately. :( I miss the good old days when Tom's was strictly about tech, with better journalism.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Step 1: install silly Windows 8
Step 2: Download and install START Button

Done, your PC is usable again, and you will never even see the silly/stupid tiles again.
OR just don't and stay with Windows 7.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
People will always need help coming to a pretty much completely different UI. Try putting a $600 smartphone in to the hands of someone using a $20 phone, and they usually can't even turn the screen on, let alone do anything else. No need to find anything here offending.

G

K-zon

Sounds like if the OS actually would come down to regards use for as one for one then that of what any use could say come up with to one it might be useful to say otherwise on its regards if there was going to be any use to that point Windows 8 is it.

Then even on a regards of any otherwise other then for use of an operating system and/or the like, right, you can actually get help with the use of it cause given that of about any other product similar or not to you probably won't. Given of course right, without some sort of operating system usage of able buying more programs and applications and/or media and the like probably won't be of interest but still. All and all would probably say that within regards rather of for use to or not about you can at least come to learn and understand the ways of use to purchase more, rather you use or understand any of it at all.

Offended can only be probably placed in actually use of th operating systems, not on the promo of ad for use of.

If there was an ad to find within that of what say a place would have to offer to be offended on would be more of what it is, not what it has to say.

Could end up being some complicated or simple OS to use for about anything really, and still basically saying the ad is within regards of less or more to say probably at a time.

Ads are ads, "products" in which they actully have to be say placed for within use is about the only place to find offended in, given the ad still stats of such to at least for what say a "product" might be.

News is news, and there needs to more, on these topics probably won't be lesser anytime soon.

ike saying maybe in simple terms, what you get to say is its worth for despite what you say pay for for what you get or something. Or its works for what there is with use to to find use of on what there is to have for for what there is of to say find within. Always better ways to say something about anything, but least of what might be left otherwise being said to be short of what there is left to say is anyones guess.

Maybe Windows 8 can simplify XP down some much that the use of such is placed to be that of just XP but on a better regards then where it was at. And 8 can run on the place of for that of not only to its interest of so to say is, cause why use anything that is good to say to say it well actually last for such to be still as if more still isn't within usage of to find for what is it not cause given on a use to there is still all sorts of help to find that has usually or probably little of use for for any help to be said of. Even then at a time for what is within say mind anyways might as well flip the difference to any OS for the such least within Windows and say as to the same, given any other use on would say always be in most help for. Which is probably not as likely either.

In terms of news otherwse is left to still say there is much of what there still is and help seems to the the reatest say soucre of it in terms of interest within when the idea still has no point for it, cause what can really be any news at a time if it is just help, rather to also just ad the regards to why it might be helpful for news to be of such on what is without for what there is still to say use on without say for on/of.

Offended you still seem to imply isn't left to just the use of what anything else for what to be offended by for that said is to always say is for say use of to say.

Then eve on the regards of free training, is still trying to say for what there is that you there is of works is why, least probably for additional. Which would be useful rather it was paid or not for that of say probably does work of for any use given a use to on any can probably be of just that and who knows what that is for its use on with what there is to just ad of to say about ad still say any help is of no use. Either of still almost sounds like at a time if offended is there is no help with use but almost of that of what is just without.

If that is what there is to ad of then fine given that of any to find news in you are saying is just better placed within what almost at a time wouldn't make news of. And without news to say is almost just that of what an ad is, and anymore to be said of.

With Windows 8 should make great use of what that is to say in terms of a use on with all that get presented is that within regards of say square blocks to on what is much different then say an ad is of.

Rather an ad ia say applicable or not as well to still don't think for its use of is still much say the use on for say an interest in use of.

I've been here at Toms' for I don't know how long and despite anything they have choosen to do most of Toms' to my exten doesn't work except for what there is to just say what is at Toms' probably on no lesser standpoint of. Rather that of just a square box to be left th most to say on would work for its' better is anyones guess to me, let alone saying an easy button is in regards for the better is to actually say on one for one would be the one with the easy button.

In most terms so far is still probably within mind of; of use more to on buttons then has for a use on about.

Understand and complicated of is left still to say there is no use of for what would be say within and then of such to is to say then is in actually still use to have for an ad of or what news can be placed by and on for about.

If a waste of time was basically being said for regards on without saying except for what there is to have of it, you are still almost saying at a time you still aren't wasting time in. And is offended is placed to of such about in doing on then short of you are saying almost not to.

Complicted is probably what is placed within that in time to find in rather for say any or not.

Then of said of is no say said for better on is still said of not said at all and with all is no use of for a use at given with whats said at least. Even then is probably even said to be better of for a say at least.

Then even again offended of is still to almost say no ad for for just use one to have with.

Offended is left to say of be is to always almost have at even when in given of to for not but even then is to say of having be to on about for what there is to be of or for with offended for.

Almost sounds if there was going to be a place of offended on or for of about it was given its say only place to be at rather with or without say catch phrase for phrase of in mind to to have offended by with in terms of any to find.

Probably can't understand half of what there is to say have of for what there is to say read on given to on would place with means say of read to on what there is "of" rather there to or not on at a time given most read to probably is left to say not most placed within say of for read on, or is.

All of explain to for about is to say of what there is to have of then have on or have on then rather have of. Probably still not said right then but said least put to on no same of for same as??

Then same still being is relevence to about for say no better to or still better on for what is not to as well with if at all for almost any, within regards to same as or not anyways maybe. Should say anyways of as to basically, but still.

Still sounds left to say better say of to on for about, which of such is to almost have said as not to until later or that of now to say of then. And why do of say such on for to when that of for if still within question about and say now and then wasn't being said on as before; to say of anyways, short think the later though??

Least the ad is of "news" and news is usually as placed to guess as an ad has as one for one to say of news about. Rather news being an ad is of there to read of I don't know. Hard to say. But least of probably better said to about though rather say said(put) or not. Right??

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
What's the fuss about? That includes both the ad and the negative comments. Use it/mod it/don't use it, just don't whine about it...Some of these people are the same that complain about crAPPLE. Hell, go get smart and develope your own OS or learn a hack or two, just quit whining about it.

G

If a smart alec / disrespectful kid offends you, for godsakes don't watch the Disney channel.

G

So killerclick states the obvious, that Microsoft "smart" phones and tablets aren't selling well, which is easily backed up with real world statistics, and it gets thumbed down?

Hey Microsoft PR trolls, fuck you! I for one, won't miss you when your gone. I think old Chuck Demejerian summed it up best:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/14/microsoft-has-failed/

I can't wait for the fantastic era of innovation that will happen once Microsoft closes their doors for good and becomes a relic of the corrupt and monopolistic early era of computing... Cunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.