Question Will storing data files on a SSD make things more efficient?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I just upgraded and now have a 500 GB SSD that my OS and programs are on and a 4 TB HDD for storage. Is it a good idea to put data files (such as an Adobe catalog file) on the SSD, or does that make much difference? I like to just keep OS and programs on one drive and everything else on the HDD because every once in awhile I reformat and install Windows and then I can just wipe the main drive without losing anything, but if putting certain files on the SSD will help with things, I have plenty of room.

USAFRet

Titan
How about partitioning your SSD to two drives? For example the first 250GB partition is used for OS, the second partition is for data?
Why?
What purpose does that serve?

Most people think that is a way to safeguard the data on the second partition, in case you need to reinstall the OS.
In reality, that safeguard thing is much better done with an actual backup.

Partitioning a drive like that used to be a good idea. 20 years ago.

Why?
What purpose does that serve?

It's a bad idea to mix OS and personal data on the same drive.

Most people think that is a way to safeguard the data on the second partition, in case you need to reinstall the OS.
In reality, that safeguard thing is much better done with an actual backup.

The second SSD partition is used to speed up your work, backup should be done to the HDD.

Partitioning a drive like that used to be a good idea. 20 years ago.

Believe me, it's still a good idea in 2021, that's why there are graphical tools for partitioning.

If you work with different OS installations with different file systems, you have to partition your HDD/SSD to several drives. Perosnally I always have a partition formatted as FAT32 to make sure that the data on it can be accessed by any OS, even the deprecated ones.

kanewolf

Titan

The second SSD partition is used to speed up your work, backup should be done to the HDD.

Believe me, it's still a good idea in 2021, that's why there are graphical tools for partitioning.

If you work with different OS installations with different file systems, you have to partition your HDD/SSD to several drives. Perosnally I always have a partition formatted as FAT32 to make sure that the data on it can be accessed by any OS, even the deprecated ones.
All partitioning does it put artificial limits on the disk. Do you save a bit of space in backups? Maybe. If the hardware fails, especially on an SSD you lose all partitions.
Your multi-os use case is not typical use. You may get benefits from partitioning, but a typical user won't, IMO.

USAFRet

Titan

Partitions are still the same physical drive.

The separation is much better done with individual physical drives.
I do that, see my parts list below. Each physical drive has its own use. CAD/Video/games/etc...

PArtitions on an SSD don't speed up anything.

Backups and how to do it is a whole different thing.
Not just an HDD in the same system.

Many people do partition a drive.
A lot of times, it ends up with one or the other 'partition' being too small. Wasted space.

Personally, I much prefer individual physical drives, rather than partitions on a single drive.

To each his own.

Anything that requires performance is best done on a ssd.
The value of a ssd is low latency for random work.
That is most of what windows does.

The only value of a HDD is the cost per gb.
A HDD is a reasonably good place for storing video files which can be large and are processed sequentially.

A External HDD is also a good place for a backup since it is also processed sequentially.