Will sun damage the back side of my monitor? Also, what monitor to buy?

Jonah_Snow

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my monitor after 4 years of 1080p 60HZ, to either an Asus ROG PG279Q or the Asus ROG PG278QR, which I have not yet decided on.
Now, I have one concern which I never really thought about since I didn't bother that much with my 100 Euro monitor. Will sun on the back side of the monitor damage it? The monitor is basically positioned right infront of a window, with the sun shining on the top half plastic on the back of it at times, over periods of hours. When I do upgrade I want to make sure not to damage my 600-800 Euro monitor with that.

That's my main question, my second question would be to which monitor to actually buy. I would mainly be using it for gaming, movies, and using the internet of course, and a bit of editing. No photo tuning or anything like that, just editing (very small amounts) within sony vegas or w/e. I've done research and come to the conclusion that 4ms response time isn't that big of a deal, and IPS colors are a lot better, though IPS comes with backlight bleed 90% of the time, either strong or not so strong. I do care about colors and think that the nicer IPS colors would really improve my experience in games, wouldn't it? I'm just unsure if i wan't to enter the IPS gamble, or if 4ms is a big difference in competitive games, since I do play them. (Overwatch mostly, battlefield, and the occasional new random ones)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

excessive heat will damage any component. 'Excessive' is the operative term though. I would imagine that you're fine, especially if you have AC in the room or something.

As for which monitor, I don't really know. The only important parts to me are size, resolution, and refresh rate. My 23' 1080p 60Hz monitor is perfectly fine for me

Jonah_Snow

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Okay, I do not have an AC in my room, just a fan. So strong sun from anywhere around 20-35 degrees celcius on the back side wouldn't be that big of a problem? It'd also just be maybe 2-6 hours per day anyway, depending if i'm home or not, since when the sun is strong I close my blinds.

Well, they're pretty much the exact same monitor, just one is TN and the other is an IPS panel. 165hz, which I definitely want, and 1440p which I also definitely want for my new Asus Strix or MSI 1080. They're 27' big.

Jonah_Snow

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Alright, thanks dude. I'll wait for some more answers. :)