will the 1050 ti bottleneck more than the 1050 2gb?

zamuda.mi

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
Hello.
I am runing a 10 years old system.
Mobo;Gigabyte ep45-ds3l
Ram: 8gb ddr2 800
Cpu: Intel Core 2 quad q9500 (overclocked to 3ghz)
Gpu:Asus eah hd 6670 1gb..
I want to upgrade my gpu in about 3weeks...and I am wondering if because of my cpu will the gpu bottleneck..I am choosing betwen the gigayte gtx 1050 or the gtx 1050 ti..Which is the better combo?

Solution
It's worth keeping their prices in mind though, especially considering the massive, shortage-induced price hikes that graphics cards have seen in the last couple months. In most games, a 1050 Ti shouldn't be much more than 15% faster than a regular 1050, while either one will be multiple times as fast as an HD 6670. Those differences between the two cards will become even smaller when performance is CPU limited. When you consider that the 1050 Ti is typically priced around 50% more right now, the performance per dollar doesn't look that great. Sure, it has more VRAM, which may make a larger difference in some of the most demanding games and upcoming titles, but the Core 2 Quad will likely limit performance in those games more than...
For cpu bound games, the gpu is dropped out of the equation, which means when you re cpu bottlenecked no matter gpu you have, the fps drops will exist. Gpu bound games will benefit from the higher amount of vram. Gtx 1050 ti is fast enough to utilize more than 3gb of vram and allow you to enjoy high-ultra settings. I would go with the ti cause 2 gb of vram is already the very minimum for 1080p gaming

It's worth keeping their prices in mind though, especially considering the massive, shortage-induced price hikes that graphics cards have seen in the last couple months. In most games, a 1050 Ti shouldn't be much more than 15% faster than a regular 1050, while either one will be multiple times as fast as an HD 6670. Those differences between the two cards will become even smaller when performance is CPU limited. When you consider that the 1050 Ti is typically priced around 50% more right now, the performance per dollar doesn't look that great. Sure, it has more VRAM, which may make a larger difference in some of the most demanding games and upcoming titles, but the Core 2 Quad will likely limit performance in those games more than the lack of VRAM.

If these cards were priced closer to their launch prices, then the price difference between them wouldn't be so large. This latest cryptocurrency mining shortage has made the pricing of the 1050 Ti a lot less attractive though. Currently, most 1050 Ti cards are priced close to what you could get a 1060 6GB for a couple months back, and that's a much faster card. Considering that graphics card prices are very high right now, and an older system will limit game performance anyway, it might be better to not spend more on a card than is needed for the time being, and put the money saved toward a better card (and new system) later on once the pricing becomes more reasonable again.

Solution
Either one would probably be fine, and a big upgrade from your existing card, but I personally feel the regular 1050 offers better value for the money right now due to its significantly lower price, especially as an upgrade to an older system with a slower CPU compared to current models. The 1050 Ti's moderately better performance and 4GB of VRAM could be good to have, and might allow you to turn up the graphics settings a little more in some newer games, but I definitely suspect performance will be limited more often by the rest of your system.

TRENDING THREADS