Question Will the 1050TI bottleneck the Q9650?And will it fit on my CPU?

Apr 14, 2019
Hey guys am planning to buy the 1050TI so i was wondering if the Q9650(stock) will bottleneck the 1050TI and will the 1050TI run on my 450PSU? and last will this GPU fit on my MOTHERBOARD?(Zebronics G41 SOCKET 775)

PC SPECS-

PROCESSOR-q9650(stock)

RAM-8gbDDR3

PSU-450WATT

MOTHERBOARD-Zebronics G41 Socket 775

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. It won't bottleneck. The cpu will put out as many pre-rendered frames as it can. The gpu just has to paint the picture according to resolution and detail settings. In some games that are gpu heavy graphics, this'll be harder for the gpu, but in others that affect the cpu more you'll lose fps. But at no time will one bottleneck the other, you'll just have more games that won't allow the gpu to reach max ability. The only things that'll bottleneck the cpu are anything before it like the ram or storage or game code.

Yes, 450w is enough, usually, depending on exactly what the psu is. There's many off-brand 450w out there that should never have been rated at 450w, more like 250w, since they tend to blow up/smoke/die if you go over @ 50% loads.
Low cost psu video

The gtx1050ti is compatible with any mainstream motherboard made in the last 14 years or so, and that includes the G41 chipset lga775 motherboards. You'd really have to go much older to get an x8 AGP instead of the now standard pcie x16

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What resolution? I think that CPU should be capable of ~30 fps average in most games, so if you play at 1080p with high settings the 1050 Ti may be somewhat on par performance wise.

But at no time will one bottleneck the other, you'll just have more games that won't allow the gpu to reach max ability.
Well, if one component is the limiting factor such that other components can't be used to their full capacity, that is pretty much the definition of a bottleneck. Although IMO, if a CPU is still capable of giving you the fps you want (not necessarily than the absolute max your GPU is capable of), then the bottleneck isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A bottleneck is by definition a component that slows down the flow of data. The cpu isn't slowing down the flow, it's still pumping it out at 100%. It just happens not to be the same 100% in ability when compared to something faster. If anything would be a limiting factor, it'd be the software. Modern game code in a game like BF1 limits the amount of pre-rendered frames the cpu can put out to the gpu. Minecraft or Runescape, even CS:GO or LoL is relatively easy by comparison.

If op was planning on a gt710, then yes, the gpu would bottleneck the flow of data, the monitor would get far less than what the cpu is putting out. But a 1050ti will still put out everything it receives, it just has the ability to do more.

A Q9650 can handle 4k gaming. It's the exact same fps as 1080p. At that point the 1050ti would be the bottleneck as it cannot handle 4k resolution worth a ****.

Imagine this scenario. I9-9900k at 5.0GHz putting out 500fps in minecraft paired with a RTX2080ti which is putting that 500fps on screen. Switch to BF1 and now that i9-9900k is only putting out 250fps. Is the i9-9900k bottlenecking the RTX2080ti? The gpu is obviously capable of putting out 500fps to a screen. No. The gpu is capable of putting out the pre-rendered frames the 9900k gives it. The 9900k isn't a bottleneck to the gpu, it's going to give the gpu exactly 100% of the pre-rendered frames it can. The game itself dictates what fps that'll be. If the 9900k was still putting out 500fps, and you've cranked the settings and only get 250fps on screen, the gpu just became the bottleneck by 250fps worth of slowdown.

Personally, I prefer it when I can crank ultra settings and not get any fps loss as a result.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If I'm understanding your definition of a bottleneck correctly, are you saying that according to your definition no CPU can ever be a bottleneck for gaming?

I realize that resolution doesn't affect CPU usage, I was just asking for the sake of making a guess at what sort of FPS the 1050 Ti would be capable of in the OP's case.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
What resolution? I think that CPU should be capable of ~30 fps average in most games, so if you play at 1080p with high settings the 1050 Ti may be somewhat on par performance wise.

I used to own a QX9650 on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe with 1.2GHz DDR2 RAM.

At base clock of 3 GHz the CPU was pitifully slow even for 2008 standards. Things got better at 4 GHz but not much. I remember playing WOW and getting 35 FPS when congested.

Frankly, looking back at the time of Core 2 era, I can't believe how bad the Core 2 generation was. Obtaining a Core 2 CPU for gaming in 2019 is dumb unless ofc you play games made around 2005 and before or you plan to run an Amiga emulator.