[SOLVED] Will the 1070 Ti Bottleneck the i7 9700k?

Solution

Highly unlikely even at 1080P.

You can buy either CPU, both will work fine.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
You don't see the 9700k too much because its a bit newer. the 8700k is tried and true, but i would personally go with the 9700k but either way there is VERY marginal difference between the two performance wise, and no, its definitely not going to bottleneck the GPU. The GPU however could be bottlenecked, as an I5 6600K will run the 1070ti just fine.
See here for more indepth comparison https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4030vs3937
But you will see more performance out of games with a better GPU, since most AAA titles are optimized for GPU support, and if you're dropping 1800 on a PC, go with the 8700k and spend the extra money on a better card

gogi

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Something will ALWAYS bottleneck something.
But your concern is the best case scenario. You always want your GPU running at 99~100% for best gaming performance, which kinda means your CPU is being bottlenecked.
This only means that a better graphics card will result in even better performance.
You have nothing to worry about, unless if your wallet is too heavy :D

boju

Titan
Ambassador
9700k as said is new and won't see many posts about it. But there are a few complaints about high cpu usages though. Search 9700k high cpu usages.

Even though 9700k has more cores, games still rely on the primary core and at high refresh rates the primary core can choke and bring the other cores down. This is where Hyperthreading has an advantage.

9700k is a great cpu, just might need to limit fps a bit so it's not working so hard pre-rendering.

Highly unlikely even at 1080P.

You can buy either CPU, both will work fine.

Solution