[SOLVED] Will the 11400H bottleneck the 3060 130W?

Nov 11, 2021
Laptop spec sheet: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...on_5_15ITH6H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ITH6H_Spec.pdf

This laptop has everything I've been looking for! Max power 3060, IPS panel 100% sRGB 165Hz, 1TB 2280 ssd (unfortunately I can not find out if it's gen 3 or 4, but either will serve me fine tbh) , lovely design, advanced optimus, lots of useful IO ports, and 11400H supports PCIe 4.0 :>

The only thing I'm worried about is if the 6 core cpu gonna bottleneck the gpu

Solution
I don't think there is anything "personal" about a straight forward definition.

Bottleneck means that a component in the system is slower enough that it affects the whole system. So if the cpu is causing the bottleneck, it's usage is gonna be higher than the gpu, which is not good.
No, people DO have weird thoughts about 'bottleneck'.

As in..."If I put in a better GPU, there will be a bigger bottleneck and the system will run slower."
Yes, people do think this.

There is nothing to worry about with that combination.

USAFRet

Titan
Laptop spec sheet: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...on_5_15ITH6H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ITH6H_Spec.pdf

This laptop has everything I've been looking for! Max power 3060, IPS panel 100% sRGB 165Hz, 1TB 2280 ssd (unfortunately I can not find out if it's gen 3 or 4, but either will serve me fine tbh) , lovely design, advanced optimus, lots of useful IO ports, and 11400H supports PCIe 4.0 :>

The only thing I'm worried about is if the 6 core cpu gonna bottleneck the gpu
Before this can be answered...what is your personal definition of the term "bottleneck"?

(but the answer is no)

Nov 11, 2021

Bottleneck means that a component in the system is slower enough that it affects the whole system. So if the cpu is causing the bottleneck, it's usage is gonna be higher than the gpu, which is not good.

USAFRet

Titan

As in..."If I put in a better GPU, there will be a bigger bottleneck and the system will run slower."

Solution
Nov 11, 2021

Thanks for your answer!

But I'm afraid I might be one of the "people". I mean there has to be a limit to the GPU you're gonna get if you're pairing it with a 11400 for example. A 3090 is not exactly going to be fully utilized if it's not paired with something to handle it's power.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your answer!

But I'm afraid I might be one of the "people". I mean there has to be a limit to the GPU you're gonna get if you're pairing it with a 11400 for example. A 3090 is not exactly going to be fully utilized if it's not paired with something to handle it's power.
'not fully utilized' does not mean the system runs slower.
It just means the hotrod GPU is mostly idling, with resources to spare.

But having a better GPU allows you to turn the graphics level up to Ludicrous level, while keeping the same framerate.

Reactions: I do not know 1 2 3