Sep 9, 2021
So I'm planning on buying a new pc, but will liquid metal bother the i9-11900k, I heard it's rather corrosive and can bother metals like aluminum, would the 11900k be bothered?

Solution
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK3
Arctic MX-5
Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut
Whether the PC is high end or not makes little difference. The Thermal Interface Material is just a bridge. If you 'built the bridge' - applied the TIM correctly, the bulk of the cooling work is going to be on the cooler anyway.
The differences between good TIM is boring. The cooler choices have a bigger impact.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just use paste?
There's no real benefit to using LM on top of the cpu's IHS Vs a good paste. Plus, if you have an 'oopsie' while using it, it can become an expensive oopsie...

Aside from that, don't use LM with aluminum cooler cold plates. Most use copper, or nickel plated copper anyway, which isn't an issue, other than the alloying and leaving stains.

Reactions: Eximo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, no aluminum present.

CPU surface is silicon, CPU heatspreader is nickel plated copper, may also be some gold plating used to solder the CPU to the heatspreader. Solder is usually some indium alloy.

Your CPU cooler on the other hand is where you have to be careful. Make sure that you get a nickel plated one.

Agreed, if you aren't de-lidding, not much point to liquid metal.

Sep 9, 2021
Just use paste?
There's no real benefit to using LM on top of the cpu's IHS Vs a good paste. Plus, if you have an 'oopsie' while using it, it can become an expensive oopsie...

Aside from that, don't use LM with aluminum cooler cold plates. Most use copper, or nickel plated copper anyway, which isn't an issue, other than the alloying and leaving stains.
No, no aluminum present.

CPU surface is silicon, CPU heatspreader is nickel plated copper, may also be some gold plating used to solder the CPU to the heatspreader. Solder is usually some indium alloy.

Your CPU cooler on the other hand is where you have to be careful. Make sure that you get a nickel plated one.
I'm basically buying a top of the line PC, should I use LM, or just use some other one, if so what would you recommend?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK3
Arctic MX-5
Whether the PC is high end or not makes little difference. The Thermal Interface Material is just a bridge. If you 'built the bridge' - applied the TIM correctly, the bulk of the cooling work is going to be on the cooler anyway.
The differences between good TIM is boring. The cooler choices have a bigger impact.

Reactions: uWebb429
Solution
Sep 9, 2021
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK3
Arctic MX-5
I'd use some of Noctua's thermal compound...

It doesn't harden, and, I've seen no degradation in temps even four years after application....
I've decided to just use some other thermal paste rather than lm, thanks