[SOLVED] Will the 255w PSU provide enough power to a 1050ti type card in a sff

Oct 12, 2019
I have Dell precision T1700 sff with a 255w psu. I want a gpu upgrade for that. Please note that I have i5 4670t CPU which is just 45 watts. Please help me to choose a gpu which won't burn my PC. I will use it for mid-high gaming and programming. Thanks

Solution
No, you're going to need at least 350W of power from the PSU for the entire system. Ideally a 450W reliably built PSU is what you need. If the PSU is as old as the system then that 255W PSU will be capable of outputting about or less than half that number.

Dell%204JGCK%20T1700%202.JPG

The board has a proprietary power input so your options for an aftermarket PSU purchase is limited or impossible, unless ofc you can find an adapter meant for the board.

Lutfij

Titan
No, you're going to need at least 350W of power from the PSU for the entire system. Ideally a 450W reliably built PSU is what you need. If the PSU is as old as the system then that 255W PSU will be capable of outputting about or less than half that number.

The board has a proprietary power input so your options for an aftermarket PSU purchase is limited or impossible, unless ofc you can find an adapter meant for the board.

Solution
Oct 12, 2019

But I have seen people talking about they have used these kind of GPUs in sff with even less PSU wattage then mine. Is that true?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, but you can always try it and put your computer at risk. It's yours, after all. At worst, your power supply goes, "POP!" and fries your CPU, Motherboard, AND your new graphics card. But hey! You can try!

-Wolf sends

Oct 12, 2019
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, but you can always try it and put your computer at risk. It's yours, after all. At worst, your power supply goes, "POP!" and fries your CPU, Motherboard, AND your new graphics card. But hey! You can try!

-Wolf sends
So are there any GPUs for people stuck in the same scene as me.??!

Oct 12, 2019
My integrade
A GT 710 would probably work, but if you're looking at any type of gaming graphics card, start looking at what's necessary to upgrade your power supply.

-Wolf sends
Well I believe I should rather be with my integrated gfx than looking for a 710. But are there any chances for me as I have seen people talking about running 1030,1050, even 1650 with such PSUs.🤔😓

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not all power supplies are the same. Yours has aged quite a bit. Power supplies tend to lose effectiveness as they age. You came here asking our advice. We've given it. If you decide to try it anyway, and it works, good for you. If you try it and if fails... well... :::shrugs:::

-Wolf sends

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the cpu under load will ask around 90 watts, the gpu uses close to 70 watts, that is 160, adding the rest of parts inside the pc you should be close to 200 watts under load, is a bit tight but is doable

alot of people put that or the 750 ti sff model, the low profile one

in fact any 1050ti low profile is meant to be used on such case, it works hot but works

the problem with these sff is that some will not delive the 70 watts to the gpu via the pci express slot, other motherboards will give problems in bios so you will not be able to use it

if i was you, i would try it, if it doesn't work, the gpu can be used on another pc, and the sff with small psu should be able to handle a gt 1030, that is less than half the power of the 1050ti bt also uses only 30 watts

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
Well can you help me with what actions and steps should I take and take care of while adding the gpu. I have a gt 730 with my friend and will try that tomorrow.
the gt 730 is low power and low requirements, it will work, of course, just as the 1030

the doubt is the 1050ti, if the bios will accept it and the pci express slot will deliver the 70 watts it asks when under load

as i said, i would buy the 1050ti, the pc will not melt, if psu is not enough it will just not turn on or will turn itself off under load, that will tell you the psu is not enough, as you mention, you know it can be done, so don't ask here if it can be done because you already know it can be done, people here will recomend you not to do it, so you don't have a possible bad surprise and kill parts, is fear of unknown, but as mentioned before, it has been done in the past, alot

keep in mind that you proceed at your own risk, but as you said it ha been done, and the sff gpus are meant for this specific use

to be sure, the gt 1030 gddr5 2gbs will work, i have one here and i know it uses very little power, it will work, if the bios accepts it, of course

the 1050ti is what i would buy if you ask me

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
But I have seen people talking about they have used these kind of GPUs in sff with even less PSU wattage then mine. Is that true?

225 Watt is only OK for an office computer. People here make suggestions here, but you are giving examples that some of your friends' computers run in such a configuration. They can run, you can build such a computer and your computer can also run OK, for weeks, months, or years. But still it is a risk you are taking. They are advising you not to take such a risk. If you take such a risk, it is your decision. I would not do this.

Years ago, my brother decided to buy an i3 laptop. Asked me if it would run fine, I answered him, that it would be OK, but he should buy an i5 instead. He again asked me, but I replied him back that, it would be OK in general, but here and there he would fell that it was slow. He bought it, replacing months later. We have some experiences, thus we answer questions here, if you are just asking us to get our approval, it is not right. It is better for you to listen, so that you do not regret.

By the way the posters here many times, disagree with each other, so for some cases, you need to think about what is right or what is wrong comparing the arguments. If all the people agrees something, you better listen.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Now, keeping in mind that my own experience is with a different Dell SFF.... and I'm a sample size of ONE person.

Dell Inspiron Small Desktop, Haswell Pentium (54W), and for about 2 years, I used a Radeon R7 250E (55W) in it. The PSU was rated at 220W, with 216 available on the 12V rail.

It had 4GB RAM (single stick), a single HDD, and an optical drive. Never gave me any trouble.

You're using a CPU that's 9W less, but a GPU that's 20W more. BUT - your 255W PSU is 35W more than mine was. So, theoretically, assuming your card doesn't need a 6-pin connector (which your PSU probably does not have), then I think it should work.

HOWEVER - Before I'm comfortable concluding that, I'd really like to see the details label from your existing PSU, just to be sure it's making sufficient power available to the 12V rail.

Reactions: Sukh@Randhawa