[SOLVED] Will the 3070/3080 have a bottleneck with the 8600k @4.7Ghz?

Solution
oh didnt know that, thanks, if the 3080 isnt a good match i hope the 3070 is, heard its 2x more powerfull than a 2080.

Don't buy everything you read. Those are likely cherry picked scenarios for something like ray tracing performance. The 20 series as a whole wasn't good at ray tracing. Wait for reviews.

A 3080 is really a 4K gaming card. If you use it for competitive reasons, than you will likely be running 1080p on a high refresh rate monitor. In that case your CPU will most definitely be holding you back on a number of games. I know this because that CPU will hold you back at 1080p with todays graphics cards.
oh didnt know that, thanks, if the 3080 isnt a good match i hope the 3070 is, heard its 2x more powerfull than a 2080.

Don't buy everything you read. Those are likely cherry picked scenarios for something like ray tracing performance. The 20 series as a whole wasn't good at ray tracing. Wait for reviews.

A 3080 is really a 4K gaming card. If you use it for competitive reasons, than you will likely be running 1080p on a high refresh rate monitor. In that case your CPU will most definitely be holding you back on a number of games. I know this because that CPU will hold you back at 1080p with todays graphics cards.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Wait shouldn't it be easier to run 1080p on a 3080? you're saying that at a lower resolution the CPU works harder?

"Easier" is relative. First off, game engines, max FPS etc can limit a GPU (try running a 2080TI on games at 480p!). The CPU has to 'keep up' with the frames to be rendered.

The CPU matters much less at, say 4K.... as the GPU is only going to be push so many frames

The claim was the 3080 is twice the performance of the 2080 but let’s wait for the reviews tomorrow to see how true that is.

I missed that - but according to a TG recap:
offering up to two times the performance of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nvid...-blog-all-the-big-rtx-3080-news-as-it-happens

That one, I'll believe when I see it .

Reactions: digitalgriffin

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Oh yes I see what you're saying now. Can your recommend me a cpu to get for 360hz monitor. I was hoping the new Ryzen 4000, possible 4800x or 4700x 10 core version will be able to match the 3080 at a mid-range price.

Last edited:
"Easier" is relative. First off, game engines, max FPS etc can limit a GPU (try running a 2080TI on games at 480p!). The CPU has to 'keep up' with the frames to be rendered.

The CPU matters much less at, say 4K.... as the GPU is only going to be push so many frames

I missed that - but according to a TG recap:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nvid...-blog-all-the-big-rtx-3080-news-as-it-happens

That one, I'll believe when I see it .
I’m fairly sure that’s a mis quote. The performance graph showing the alleged double performance I am fairly sure was against the 2080. The headliners were the 3070 beating the 2080ti and the 3080 doubling the 2080.

Just Googled it, definitely double the 2080 and not 2080ti

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I’m fairly sure that’s a mis quote. The performance graph showing the alleged double performance I am fairly sure was against the 2080. The headliners were the 3070 beating the 2080ti and the 3080 doubling the 2080.

Just Googled it, definitely double the 2080 and not 2080ti

Yeah, not surprised if it's a misquote. Honestly, I didn't even take away a 3080 doubling 2080 performance, and I watched the event. Can you link what you found stating doubling?

Same situation though, I don't expect a 3080 to double 2080 performance in all situations..... That's a pretty groundbreaking leap.

x70 matching previous x80TI level isn't 'new', the 1070 roughly matched a 980TI at launch.

But x80 doubling prior gen x80 would be a first.... AFAIK.
Even thinking of recent generations (from memory, so I could well be off), 2080 bettered a 1080 by maybe 20-25% ... 1080 bettered a 980 by closer to 40-50%, 980 bettered a 780 by a similar margin. Memory doesn't recall beyond that.

So, x80 doubling a prior gen x80 card would be pretty groundbreaking... and I hope it's true. But I'm not going to hold my breath. We'll see soon enough, and I'll happily eat my words.

Yeah, not surprised if it's a misquote. Honestly, I didn't even take away a 3080 doubling 2080 performance, and I watched the event. Can you link what you found stating doubling?

Same situation though, I don't expect a 3080 to double 2080 performance in all situations..... That's a pretty groundbreaking leap.

x70 matching previous x80TI level isn't 'new', the 1070 roughly matched a 980TI at launch.

But x80 doubling prior gen x80 would be a first.... AFAIK.
Even thinking of recent generations (from memory, so I could well be off), 2080 bettered a 1080 by maybe 20-25% ... 1080 bettered a 980 by closer to 40-50%, 980 bettered a 780 by a similar margin. Memory doesn't recall beyond that.

So, x80 doubling a prior gen x80 card would be pretty groundbreaking... and I hope it's true. But I'm not going to hold my breath. We'll see soon enough, and I'll happily eat my words.

Took this from here https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-ampere-official-unveiling#:~:text=NVIDIA is claiming the GeForce RTX 3080 will,as well, though we suspect that’s only
Resize

The article also states “NVIDIA is claiming the GeForce RTX 3080 will offer double the performance of the GeForce RTX 2080”

I can’t find the graph from the release video. Here is another article that says “During the Nvidia RTX 30 series announcement, Jensen Huang showed a graph that claimed the RTX 3080 would offer up to double the performance of the RTX 2080.” From https://www.kitguru.net/components/...performance-shown-via-leaked-benchmark-tests/

As for what the actual performance increase is I will the double performance claim with a huge pinch of salt. Very keen for tomorrow’s reviews.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As for what the actual performance increase is I will the double performance claim with a huge pinch of salt. Very keen for tomorrow’s reviews.

Definitely.
Probably more accurately going to be something like

RTX 3080 would offer up to double the performance of the RTX 2080*

*With RTX on
*At 4K
*In two titles that allowed us to make this claim
*When paired with an i9-10900K overclocked to 5.5GHz

Marketting 101. Likely 'true'.... but only in very specific scenarios.

Not long until we know for sure.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh yes I see what you're saying now. Can your recommend me a cpu to get for 360hz monitor. I was hoping the new Ryzen 4000, possible 4800x or 4700x 10 core version will be able to match the 3080 at a mid-range price.

No. In fact, I would not recommend getting a 360hz monitor at all. It would be a complete waste of money. Nobody can see that fast. Or even 240Hz. Or even 165Hz.

Reactions: RagedAPE