[SOLVED] Will the 3090 fit my cpu and Motherboard?

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
hi guys!
So currently I'm on a Asus z270 with a I7-7700k skylake OC and on a GTX1070ti

I purposely skipped the 2080ti because of the price but hearing the 3090 will be a 12 PCI and cheaper im wanting it. However i just want to confirm if I will either bottleneck it with the i7-7700k overclocked to 14% roughly i believe stable at 5.1MHz. And also compatible with my motherboard.

SIMULATORS I use:
MSFS (FS2020)
P3D V5

Games I play:
Stellaris
BF4

Software I run:
Photoshop
Lightroom
Sony Vegas 16 pro

Solution
For anyone out there looking to put together a build, one word of advice.

Don't do what some guys do, and just max everything out. It will lead to trouble and BSODs.

You need a stable system, as a priority over a fast one.

Make sure your peripherals and components combine at stock speeds, based on specs, before anything else.

RAM is a good example. Sometimes it's a good idea to underclock RAM in order to garner better stability, or even just play with timings. Especially when heavily overclocking.

Which I assume you will do OP, as you have an unlocked processor.

PSA. Didn't want anyone on this thread getting the wrong idea, based on the wide variety of replies posted.

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
I wouldn't think so. Might have to level out your OCs (GPU and CPU) once its setup to remove any bottleneck (e.g. lower CPU overclock to match GPU or overclock GPU to match CPU).

EDIT: This is what happens when you sit on forums at 3am in the morning haha

This really should say 'lower GPU overclock to match CPU, or overclock CPU to match GPU'.

Apologies for any confusion. Clearly the opposite would be silly!

Last edited:
Reactions: RTX 2080

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I purposely skipped the 2080ti because of the price
2080Ti is rising in price because they're no longer in production. Same for all the other Turing cards.
You'll be looking 2nd hand if you want to get a deal on one later.

hearing the 3090 will be a 12 PCI and cheaper
The only concrete thing I've heard of this thing so far is the 3 slot and PCIe adapter thing.
Everything else is still rumor or Nvidia pulling everyone's leg. Just wait for the September 1st announcement for more concrete details?

i just want to confirm if I will either bottleneck it with the i7-7700k overclocked to 14% roughly i believe stable at 5.1MHz.
I do hope you're looking at this level of gpu for 4K, what with how much Vram this thing is rumored to have...

I wouldn't think so. Might have to level out your OCs (GPU and CPU) once its setup to remove any bottleneck (e.g. lower CPU overclock to match GPU or overclock GPU to match CPU).

That's not how bottlenecks work; it has nothing to do with matching clock speeds and has everything to do with whether the CPU is capable of sending as many frames to the GPU as it wants to render at any given time.

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
That's not how bottlenecks work; it has nothing to do with matching clock speeds and has everything to do with whether the CPU is capable of sending as many frames to the GPU as it wants to render at any given time.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying; there is absolutely no point in matching clock speeds, they are just numbers hahaha

But you need to match performance, and you do that using clock speeds (amongst other things).

The OP (and anyone who takes clocking seriously) will need to balance out their clocks to best manage performance of the CPU and GPU together. That may mean underclocking one or overclocking the other.

And to reiterate, I don't mean clock speeds.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying; there is absolutely no point in matching clock speeds, they are just numbers hahaha

But you need to match performance, and you do that using clock speeds (amongst other things).

The OP (and anyone who takes clocking seriously) will need to balance out their clocks to best manage performance of the CPU and GPU together. That may mean underclocking one or overclocking the other.

And to reiterate, I don't mean clock speeds.

You don't want a game to be CPU limited; a CPU limited game hitches and stutters and doesn't use the GPU to its full capacity.

You do want a game to be GPU limited; a GPU limited game will use a GPU to its full potential and the CPU is not overwhelmed, having performance to spare.

So there should be no reason to "lower [the] CPU overclock" to match the GPU. You cannot harm your gaming performance by having a CPU that performs too well.

Reactions: johnsoner13

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
You don't want a game to be CPU limited; a CPU limited game hitches and stutters and doesn't use the GPU to its full capacity.

You do want a game to be GPU limited; a GPU limited game will use a GPU to its full potential and the CPU is not overwhelmed, having performance to spare.

So there should be no reason to "lower [the] CPU overclock" to match the GPU. You cannot harm your gaming performance by having a CPU that performs too well.
Mate I think you've taken my e.g far too literally...

You seem to be trolling buddy...it's clear because you've changed your approach.

I believe what you are referring to is called a 'CPU bottleneck'. And is goes without saying lol

The point I was making is that again, you need to match the performance of you components so they work well together. And there are plenty of people who underclock daily, so are you saying what they do has no purpose?

I know people who get better performance because they've lowered their OC or even underclocked/undervolted, so their components work better together.

You can go ahead and just max everything if you want buddy, but you will just be wasting power and money.

The key is to see how things work together at stock, then if you can, overclock to get best performance, or if need be, the opposite (as a secondary option).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My one training simulator (P3D V5) uses DX12 as of this version and ill be running it at 2K. rendering videos at 4K for my freelance career
I see... I'm not familiar with that sim, but it appears to be quite the resource sucker for just the 1080p system requirements.
Too bad MSFS 2020 went in the opposite direction at launch, running DX11(DX12 not 'yet' supported) and using only 4 cpu threads, making most user's PCs cpu limited anyway.

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
I see... I'm not familiar with that sim, but it appears to be quite the resource sucker for just the 1080p system requirements.
Too bad MSFS 2020 went in the opposite direction at launch, running DX11(DX12 not 'yet' supported) and using only 4 cpu threads, making most user's PCs cpu limited anyway.
P3D is FSX but optimized and upgraded to 64 bit but is still the same old CPU sucker and runs it hard, where MSFS is an uncompleted pile of mess (from a addon developer and tester stand point) how in a general view its a great VFR sim and runs off of GPU power more than CPU. the main reason im upgrading to the 3090 is for video rendering and for development of VFX for my next big freelance project. the reason i havent gone with the titan is because i do play games and simulations that i love so id rather deal with the 3090 than the titan

Reactions: Phaaze88
Yah ill double check the stock with the 3090 and also the 14-17% OC with it and anything inbetween .

My PSU:
Evga 750 watt gold power supply
P/N: 210-GQ-0750-V1
@John Chesterfield
@DSzymborski

That power supply is decent enough, it's certainly not going to burn your house down. When looking at 3000 series cards, just check what amp rating on the 12v rail is required. I think that one of yours will easily have enough current on its 12v rail to power a 3000 series card.

Reactions: King_V and Swa5931

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
That power supply is decent enough, it's certainly not going to burn your house down. When looking at 3000 series cards, just check what amp rating on the 12v rail is required. I think that one of yours will easily have enough current on its 12v rail to power a 3000 series card.

Yeah ill have to wait til sept first to find the actual specs of the 3090 but im pretty sure I'll be able to handle the 3090 no problem. Its kinda cool that I don't have to switch out my Z270 mobo

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Can i see some benchmarks or proof that underclocking increases performance?
Try a Google search, plenty of examples of other people doing exactly that.

And it's not about increasing overall performance per se. It's about making components work better together.

Are you telling me no-one out there has ever lowered clock speeds for better stability?

Read up about running XMP on an OC.

You have to be kidding me right, are you taking the piss?

Do all you guys really just grab components, max them all out, then stand back, dust your hands off and say 'job well done'?

Do your PCs even boot properly? Have you run a full stability gamut?

Tsk tsk

Last edited:

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
Do all you guys really just grab components, max them all out, then stand back, dust your hands off and say 'job well done'?

Do your PCs even boot properly? Have you run a full stability gamut?

no i actually tested mine out, but however it all depends on what you use your PC for and what software and programs you run and what they run best on. so you definitely have to toy around to find that sweet spot.

as for your second question yes, yes

Reactions: RamboRyza

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
For anyone out there looking to put together a build, one word of advice.

Don't do what some guys do, and just max everything out. It will lead to trouble and BSODs.

You need a stable system, as a priority over a fast one.

Make sure your peripherals and components combine at stock speeds, based on specs, before anything else.

RAM is a good example. Sometimes it's a good idea to underclock RAM in order to garner better stability, or even just play with timings. Especially when heavily overclocking.

Which I assume you will do OP, as you have an unlocked processor.

PSA. Didn't want anyone on this thread getting the wrong idea, based on the wide variety of replies posted.

Reactions: Swa5931
Solution