PC SPECS
GPU: GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650
RAM: 2X 8GB HYPERX Predator RGB HX432C16PB3AK2/16
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + 128 GB Kingston SSD
HDD: Seagate 1TB

My CPU pins are bent so I am buying a new CPU. My question is if the new 3rd gen AMD Ryzen CPU's will work with my MOBO and RAM. With the stock mobo without any updates for the MOBO the ''max'' cpu you can go for is the Ryzen 7 2700X, correct?

Solution
Hello Thomaszz.

-- compatibility --

If your MSI X470 Gaming Plus is the non-Max version, then you will indeed need a BIOS update to install a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. I've linked official instructions below via a YouTube video produced by MSI.

-- Ryzen 7 2700X vs Ryzen 5 3600 --

If I were strictly gaming than I would purchase the Ryzen 5 3600, for the 15% IPC boost, and higher resulting FPS. If I were doing gaming + content creation then their could be an argument for 2700X but I would personally still opt for the newer generation 3600, for higher FPS

-- Max CPU on AM4 socket --

pre BIOS update: Ryzen 7 2700X
post BIOS update: Ryzen 9 3900X
post BIOS update (new release next month): Ryzen 9 3950X

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Yes, it will.
Your motherboard has an AM4 socket, which makes all Ryzen Processors work on it.
RAM shouldn‘t be an issue as well
Really need certainty. Have had problems before where there RAM wasn't compatible etc.

EDIT: I do see it is compatible with my MOBO, now my only issue is the RAM compatibality.

Last edited:
Hello Thomaszz.

-- compatibility --

If your MSI X470 Gaming Plus is the non-Max version, then you will indeed need a BIOS update to install a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. I've linked official instructions below via a YouTube video produced by MSI.

If I were strictly gaming than I would purchase the Ryzen 5 3600, for the 15% IPC boost, and higher resulting FPS. If I were doing gaming + content creation then their could be an argument for 2700X but I would personally still opt for the newer generation 3600, for higher FPS

-- Ryzen 7 2700X - Submit warranty --

I strongly recommend that you submit a warranty claim on your CPU, and simply state symptoms from your "malfunctioning". Example, that it no longer posts, or whatever issues you witnessed (link below). In the past I've successfully received a replacement AMD CPU from a warranty claim. If your claim is approved then sell or giveaway the replacement. Also, when you attempt to install your new CPU, please do so very cautiously. Are you certain that there is no broken pin left in the socket is a question that I would pose to myself in your situation.

-- AMD Warranty Request Form --
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

--MSI - How to use Flash BIOS button--

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42
Solution

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hello Thomaszz.

-- compatibility --

-- Ryzen 7 2700X - Submit warranty --

I strongly recommend that you submit a warranty claim on your CPU, and simply state result from your "malfunctioning". Example, that it no longer post, or whatever issues you witnessed (link below). In the past I've successfully received a replacement AMD CPU from a warranty claim. Also, when you attempt to install your new CPU, please do so very cautiously. Are you certain that there is no broken pin left in the socket is a question I would post to myself in your situation.

-- AMD Warranty Request Form --
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

--MSI - How to use Flash BIOS button--

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
Thank you for this. I am actually going for the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X since I do indeed like to stream sometimes while gaming + I like to watch streams while gaming as well.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX