Will the 8600k still be good in 3-4 years?

MCS_870

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
Hi guys, I'm currently looking into buying a new cpu and I was wondering if the 8600k is a good option and if it will still be good 3-4 years from now. I only use my pc for gaming btw.

Solution
Yep, I would think so. Considering the speed at which the CPU market has moved forward in the past, I would say a 6 core CPU is a safe bet for, oh, around 5 years, maybe even more. While 8 core CPU's are also mainstream now, but Intel hasn't jumped on them yet, and developers like to optimize for all CPU's available, so they'll probably to stick to optimizing for 4-6 cores for now, so that 8600K will be good for quite some time.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Depends on how you define good. I got 386 cpus from 1991 that still run, but is it really good? I still got lab machine running on Core 2 Quads Q9550 from 2009, is that good? The CPUs usually won't cook themselves unless you've been overclocking them to death.

Yep, I would think so. Considering the speed at which the CPU market has moved forward in the past, I would say a 6 core CPU is a safe bet for, oh, around 5 years, maybe even more. While 8 core CPU's are also mainstream now, but Intel hasn't jumped on them yet, and developers like to optimize for all CPU's available, so they'll probably to stick to optimizing for 4-6 cores for now, so that 8600K will be good for quite some time.

Solution