Question Will the ALC 1220 handle the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250Ω ?

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Hello, everyone.

Changed my mind, now I am set to get an real hi-fi headset, and I am eyeing the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250Ω.

But, will the ALC 1220 handle it? Im planning to get the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro. And no, I dont have enough money to buy an AMP. But, the motherboard comes with an AMP feature, adjusting the audio codec to an different impendance or that kind of marketing shite.

Or should I get the 32Ω variant? Why 32Ω? The 80Ω one is not available.

I have a friend with the exact same audio codec (albeit on an different motherboard) and he told me that his Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee`s run on the ALC 1220 just fine, but they have 150Ω impendance.

And no, I cant get the HD 58X because Im in Europe, high taxes, and I can get an deal for the DT 770 PROs, 120€.

Thank you. :)

I don't see any specs or reviews on that motherboard that mention how much power the sound card gives to the headphone output. I would say stick with lower ohm headphones or get an amp or amp/dac combo. What the codec on the computer is does not really translate to how well the motherboard can power headsets.

The CM MH751 and 752 models you were looking at are good though, probably would sound pretty equal to a standard headset, no real need to go higher in price. It wold depend on what you like for sound, really hard to know till you try about 10+ different headphones.

Last edited:

bollix4

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
A nice set of headphones like that is screaming out for a separate DAC/headphone preamp rather than just relying on the onboard sound. Also, the ohm rating of headphones is not the only thing affecting how much oomph your preamp will need to drive them.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone.

Changed my mind, now I am set to get an real hi-fi headset, and I am eyeing the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250Ω.

But, will the ALC 1220 handle it? Im planning to get the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro. And no, I dont have enough money to buy an AMP. But, the motherboard comes with an AMP feature, adjusting the audio codec to an different impendance or that kind of marketing shite.

Or should I get the 32Ω variant? Why 32Ω? The 80Ω one is not available.

I have a friend with the exact same audio codec (albeit on an different motherboard) and he told me that his Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee`s run on the ALC 1220 just fine, but they have 150Ω impendance.

And no, I cant get the HD 58X because Im in Europe, high taxes, and I can get an deal for the DT 770 PROs, 120€.

Thank you. :)

I would contact Gigabyte support and ask them for the output specs of the ALC 1220-VB that your board comes with. That 250 ohm headset needs enough power delivery to drive it or it won't sound good...both the 32 and 80 ohm versions have the same frequency range, distortion, and power handling as the 250 so it really comes down to the power output of what you're listening on. The 80 would be ideal for PC use and even worth a wait if it will become available in a reasonable time frame.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'd get the 80ohm DT770s if DT770s are what you want. The 250ohm version in particular has the hot treble Beyerdynamic is known for and they can be painfully bright. The 80 ohm model tames that the most.