will the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor i want to buy bottleneck my Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card?

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
i am in the process of building a pc. i have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card and i want to get a cpu/cooler but i dont want to bottleneck my gpu. the reason i add cooler is because i plan on buying a corsair h80i (unless there is something cheaper?) and overclocking.

any suggestions?

draconis123

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I wouldn't get the h80i. When I had one for my previous build with an FX 6300 it was similar to a cooler master evo which goes for about $20 to $25 vs $70. If you're going to go for an AIO liquid cooler I'd recommend no less than the h100i. Otherwise the Cooler Master hyper evo will be more than enough. Had mine oc'd to 4.4 GHZ.

I'd save the money on the cooler and stick with that processor unless you actually need the extra cores which if you're only gaming, you don't.

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

awesome, thank you. i was actually looking at doing that instead but i wasnt sure. now i know:)

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

wait wait, so you dont think ill need an FX 8320 becuase it has 8 cores or whatever? i was kind of curious about that also. i am pretty much only going to be using this for gaming. and saving money on the cooling would be nice.

draconis123

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I went from an FX 6300 to a 8350 before going to intel and between the two at the same clock speed I saw maybe 2 or 3 fps increase max. As for the cooler if you get anything less than a 240mm than you are just wasting money in my opinion. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a beast especially considering the price.

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

i might use it to make music on fl studio, but ill probably just stick with my laptop for that. to be honest i would like to be as cheap as possible and still be able to run games as nice as possible. im really looking forward to space citizen next year (i got radeon space edition so i get it free) and i want to be able to run it when it comes out at max settings. so i may buy another graphics card before then. so i do want to make sure the processor can handle pretty much any game.

as for utilizing more than four cores, is it possible to use four cores on a game and another core on say the operating system to optimise the cores that are trying to run the game? i really dont understand this stuff that well. im learning it.

also, if the cores dont make that much of a difference gaming, can i just get the four core and save like 20 bucks?

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

lol, actually, right after i posted this topic i changed the cooler to the 212. this is what im looking at buying

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thetoymaker787/saved/C3FCmG

draconis123

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
You will definitely not be able to play star citizen at max settings with that setup. Both Cpu and gpu are underpowered. My setup is in my sig, I have a 4790k at 4.6GHz and 2 GTX 770 in sli and in arena commander at max settings I get around 40 to 50 fps with occasional hiccups. Since the gtx 770 is pretty much equal to a 280x you will definitely need to be turning your settings down a bit. All other games though you will get a bit better performance as star citizen is being made to push the limits on what PC's are capable of.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CjcX3C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CjcX3C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Directron)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A71 ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $692.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-19 22:47 EST-0500

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

thats good to know. what is a good priced cpu that wont slow down two 270x crossfired? now that i know i wont be able to max the graphics on that game anyway, i just want to make sure i can push the limits of that card.

i guess i kind of didnt expect a 200 dollar GPU to run star citizen maxed. but i didnt realise it was going to be that crazy. i think two crossfired should look good enough though.

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

i already got the 270x. and i am buying 16 gigs of gskill ram from a friend. so i am kind of commited to amd at this point (unless that crossfire works with intel? i thought that was sli?)

also, i dont understand why intel costs twice as much to have the same core count and processing power as an amd cpu that costs half as much

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Amd and intel cpus are architecturally different, so number of cores and clock speed cant be directly compared.
Intel generally wins in games due to the much stronger single core performance, while amd can beat an intel chip in the same price bracket in other processes like video editing.

But with a r9 270x, whether you have an i3 or 6300, you wont notice the difference in most games.

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

wow i feel dumb. i honestly had no idea. thanks for the info though

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014

i was thinking the 8 core fx 8320 though.

since i can run intell with my graphics card (blew my mind for some reason) what is the cheaper cpu i can get that wont slow down two r9 270x?

now i am going to have to research intel compatible motherboards.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I think I would go with an i3 for the upgrade path. The AM3+ socket is old and dead at this point. An i3 will perform similarly to the FXs in most games.
Look at the i3 4130, 4150, and 4160. They are all between $100 and $120. You could get a H97 motherboard for under $70 that would support crossfire.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Asus z97-a is a good mobo choice, alot of good quality choices.
4690k is the best and only overclockable i5 for the money.
But you will spend ~220 on the 4690k and ~130 for the mobo.
Or Like turbo said, you can get an i3 with an h97 board then upgrade later.
Also, dont crossfire r9 270xs, buy the best single gpu you can afford.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001DO1Q1O/ref=s...

i could buy something used like this and then buy that cpu cooler to go with it. i have head that you cant overclock alot of intel chips though

No. That cpu is old. And you should forget about overclocking at such a low budget. You won't need to overclock a new Intel cpu.

thetoymaker

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
okay that works for me. but i am curious, why not crossfire 270x? i am in an upgrade later mindset (im in college and when i get out i can get a much better job and afford better parts).

when i bought my card, it was pretty much the best i could do without waiting forever to build my computer, but i thought it would be better to crossfire two weaker GPUs then to buy one gpu that cost twice as much

Windows will handle all the cores for you. If you're playing a game that fully utilizes 6/8 cores windows will use the remaining 2 to run the OS and any backgrounds apps. Think of it like overhead