Will the AMD FX-8350 bottleneck the GTX 1060?

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
NOTE! I live in Canada and I am only 11 years old so I'm saving up for the AMD FX-8350. I was going to get the i3-7100 but I realized my motherboard (GA-78LMT-USB) is not compatible with it, and I don't feel like saving an extra $120 ~ $100 for a motherboard to squeeze a few more frames.

Specs:

8GB DDR3 (don't know company since I'm upgrading pre-built computer)
TOSHIBA 1TB HDD
GTX 1060 (getting for christmas, upgrading from GT 710)
AMD FX-8350 (upgrading from AMD FX-4130)
EVGA 500W 80+ White Certified

I would say I am an entry level gamer. I don't mind if I can't run at ultra max with 60 fps, I'm okay with medium settings 1080p on games like Black Ops III, or Black Ops II, and GTA V. Thanks! Please give feedback before Christmas!

Solution
Fx 6300 would be the best option for you with that board in my opinion .(just over $100 cad)

Its better priced than the 8 cores, there's room for overclocking on that board & at 4GHz its going to perform the same for gaming as an 8350)

I don't know if it's the smartest idea to pair an 8350 with a 78LMT-USB3 either. The 8350 draws a lot of power, and you'll be putting a lot of stress on your voltage regulation. I dunno if they do black friday stuff in Canada like they do in USA but if they do, black friday is mainly to get old product of the shelf, so look at past generation (6th and 7th) CORE i3's and H110/B150/B250 motherboards, you might get a good enough deal. Or you could go find yourself a way to get to an American retailer.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Yes, we do Black Friday stuff but I don't know exactly if they do it online, or at least have GOOD enough deals online. What do you mean by draw a lot of power? Could my computer overheat and crash, could it be faulty and not even start, could I burn out something? What could happen? Oh and my question remains, will the AMD FX 8350 bottleneck the GTX 1060 3GB enough to have a major impact?

Aphid_

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Yes. The FX-8350 will bottleneck the Gtx 1060 quite severely. I wouldn't even recommend getting an i3, as that too will be a bottleneck. Honestly mate, just save up a little bit more, and buy yourself a new motherboard. If you really care about whether your CPU will bottleneck your GPU then just buy a nice i7-8700k with a new z370 motherboard, and you'll be happy. It's not even that much it's only like $500, which realistically isn't even that much. I mean, i know some homeless guy with that much money, so just buy it please, rather than saying "oh, i'm poor and i don't have money". Also if you have any left over money just send it to me i would appreciate that a little. also if you do buy that nice i7 8700k i recommend make sure you get ddr4 ram which is REALLY CHEAP right now, it's only $150 for a 16gb kit of ballistic sport. that's a deal if you ask me, but then again i've got thousands in the bank. so it's your chioce really. buy a fx-8350, bottleneck it with a 1060 and be sad, like my grandad. or waste all of your money on some new intel processor and be really happy, like my dog. your choice. not mine.
Thanks.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador

Well, first off, I wouldn't normally recommend getting an FX processor anymore. The platform isn't getting any future upgrades, & all future AMD CPUs will at least have a Socket AM4 (at least for the next few years), so any future upgrades will require a complete new build anyway.

That being said, if you're upgrading an existing system, it's not so bad to stick with what's compatible with the current system. And while you'll get a lot of suggestions about saving your money to get a new system, the truth is it's going to depend on your budget...which, to be completely honest, is not going to be enough to cover a new build, based on the current Canadian prices for an FX-8350 & a decent 1060 6GB (you're probably looking at $520-550 CAD for your budget; that budget gets you a Ryzen 5 1400, its motherboard, & 16GB of DDR4 RAM, but leaves you with the original GT 710 for the GPU; you'd have to nearly double your budget to allow for a GPU).

A few things to consider:
-- The FX-8350 isn't going to have anywhere near the best gaming performance out there. But let's be honest: with this kind of prebuilt system you're probably using, you haven't had anywhere near the "best" gaming performance anyway. You're probably hooked up to a monitor that can't even play at 1080p resolutions (I'm willing to bet its max resolution is somewhere around 1600x900, 1440x900, or possibly even lower), & probably has a refresh rate between 60 & 75Hz. So as long as your upgraded system can consistently hit 60 FPS, you're going to have a decent & smooth gaming experience. Depending on the game, & depending on the GPU you're paired with, the FX-8350 can provide that for you.
-- Along that kind of vein, the GTX 1060 is a great upgrade if a) your monitor can handle 1080p resolutions, or b) you plan on upgrading to a 1080p/60Hz monitor within the next 6 months or so. If not, you might be able to settle for a GTX 1050TI (or even just a plain 1050). They're not bad cards, just not quite as powerful...& good enough to get a nod from Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html). Plus, it looks like a decent one runs a little more than half the cost of a 1060...which would either allow you to save $180-200 CAD for later upgrades, or allow for some additional upgrades (i.e. a new monitor, a 250GB SATA III SSD, etc.).

jeffredo

Distinguished
Do you know what revision your motherboard is? As long as it looks like the one in this pic you should be OK with an FX-8350 at stock (no overclocking).

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60#ov

The important thing is to have that metal piece up near where the connectors are (call the I/O panel). That's what's called a heatsink and it helps cool the power delivery hardware on the motherboard. If it has that you should be able to run an FX-8350 without issue as long as your case has good ventilation/cooling.

As far as the video card goes, I would stick with a GTX 1060 3GB instead of the GTX 1060 6GB. With your older generation CPU it wouldn't get much better performance with the more expensive 6GB card. That said, you will get better performance from a GTX 1060 3GB over something like a GTX 1050 Ti. Its worth the extra money.

By the way, I think its great your interested in something like PC hardware and are so well spoken in your posts. When I was 11 years old I was barely out of playing with Hot Wheels. lol

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Yes, it's rev. 6.0. And yeah that's the same thing I was thinking for the GTX 1060 3GB ~ 6GB. I do know the processor I want to buy is very old and outdated, but I don't want to buy a whole new motherboard and then become an Intel build because I don't have very much money haha.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

I do have a 1080p 60hz 1 ms refresh rate monitor actually haha (ASUS VP247H-P) Yeah I see your point with Ryzen and I was thinking of getting that (until i found it wasn't compatible with the GA-78LMT-USB3). The GTX 1060 3GB I won't be paying for because I (am almost certain) will get it for Christmas. I just don't want to buy a whole new motherboard, AND a CPU, AND (most likely DDR4 RAM as well because if I'm getting an AM4+ motherboard, it might take only DDR4) have to buy a $50 EVGA 500W 80+. Yes I realized I did not say that I didn't already have the 500W, I just wrote it down because I will buy it.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

Haha, I'm only 11 bruv I can't save for a i7 8700k and DDR4, that means a new motherboard mate. Think cheap.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

No I will not be getting a AM4 mobo for xmas.

I do agree with the other respondents that the gtx 1060 3 or 6 gb is a great gpu but your system will mostly not get you what you want.
From a qiuck look from newegg you could get in to a am4 system upgrade for under 400.00 which would give you room for upgrades later.
What i was looking at is the ryzen 3 1300x 4core for 129.00
The gigabyte x370gaming k5 mobo for 139.00
And 8gb ram 99.00 to 120.00. There is the gigabyte ab350 gaming k3 for 30.00 cheaper but the k5 would
Do way more later along with the 370 being able to sli.
That being said check all other brands of gtx 1060's
My Zotac gtx1060 6gb will NOT sli.
From another quick look on newegg for fx990 mobos
There was No listings and 970's still listed with prices about the same price as the gigabyte x370 k5 almost forcing us to upgrade if you want better then the higher end fx cpu's.
I can say this, my son's gigabyte 970 gaming sli with a zotac gtx 960, fx8350, and 16gb 1866, and a corsair h100i water cooler is fine as long as you don't try to overclock it.
I know your only 11yrs old and that kind of money is very hard to save for and like my 11yr old son wants it now.
My advice: see what xmas holds in the mean time do all the extra choirs maybe shoveling snow for your neighbors and what ever there is you can do to save enough to upgrade.
Maybe the others that read this can add more as to the psu for ryzen, but my 1060 only draws 120watts so you might be ok on 500watts there agian room for upgrade.

I hope this helps and good luck.
PS: Good Job on your writting and Cpu skills for being 11yrs old.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

$400 is quite a lot. Also may I ask were you checking all those components on Newegg.ca or Newegg.com? I live in Canada and everything becomes much more expensive here as currency is just total garbage. Like I said I'm not a very hard gamer, actually I wouldn't really consider my self a "gamer". The only games I want to play are really only, but not limited to GTA V, Black Ops III, Black Ops II, Geometry Dash, maybe some flash-browser games, and that's really all.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

I am going to ask for the GTX 1060 3GB no matter what CPU I get/have. Also, what is the best FX CPU for gaming? Is the FX-6300 the best?

Fx 6300 would be the best option for you with that board in my opinion .(just over $100 cad)

Its better priced than the 8 cores, there's room for overclocking on that board & at 4GHz its going to perform the same for gaming as an 8350)

Solution

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

Thank you very much. Will the FX-6300 bottleneck with GTX 1060 3GB? If so, how much percentage?

There's no such thing as a percentage of bottlenecking.

Its entirely title dependant.

A game like GTA v can drop into the high 40s fps wise with an fx chip at points , something like doom it'll run excess of 100fps easily all the time

I have a 6300 & a gtx 970 here (slightly stronger than a 3gb 1060,) , been playing the new wolfenstein & forza 7 at 60fps locked - they're a good pairing IMO .

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

What I mean by "percentage" bottlenecking is how much more GPU usage could be used if I had a better CPU, example: 60% GPU usage with FX-6300
99% GPU usage with Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Also, can I play any game with medium settings at 1080p 60fps?

Still doesn't work like that , you can push 100% GPU usage easily just by upping the settings to ultra.

60fps on every game ?? Probably not on a few like the new AC , DEUS EX, & a few others

Lock to 50htz & run them at high is my advice , you'll get 50fps solid on just about anything then.

Aphid_

Prominent
May 23, 2017
trust me you do not want to get an fx-8350 with a 1060. you will encounter frustrating artifacts and stuttering in games; the cpu will be a MASSIVE bottleneck. i'd advise you to reconsider whether you're actually willing to sacrifice a new motherboard and cpu combo for this.
also you don't sound 11 years old. you seem way too formal and well spoken to be 11, but if you really are 11, then keep doing what you're doing, because it's cool that you know about all this at such a young age. i remember when i was 11 I didn't even know a CPU was!!! haha.

^ I disagree (not about the op sounding very grown-up) but about an fx piledriver at 3.8ghz pairing with a 1060 3gb.

Its a combination that will work absolutely fine 99% of the time.

There is absolutely not a single title I cannot play with perfectly fine fps at this current time paired with a 970.

A 1060 3gb if anything is slightly weaker.

@awesomet2005 - If you want some rough benches for games lmk (I have most new titles) , apart from csgo or pubg because they don't interest me at all.

Black ops 2 & 3 it'll rip through at 60 fps no-issue at all as it will with the newer advanced & infinite warfare.

I've played all those a lot.

My 8350@4.6g and zotac 1060 6gb is doing great on tom clancys ghost recon. There again i'm water cooled.
If i had my link on this phone i would post my over 9300 3dmark firestrike score. So its not that bad of a cpu /gpu match and have you checked mobos recently on newegg 970 boards are listed over 300usd now, prices have shot up in 6months.
With what he is getting and limited budget and what he has to start with there is going to be alot of give and take.

Ya know what, I'll add to maddmatt's case. I gave my brother my FX-6300 machine, bought him a used GTX980 (which is a little better than a 1060 iirc) and it holds up VERY well in games like Tom Clancy's The Division, Fallout 4, Doom, Overwatch, which are all decently intensive on one or both of the components. I think people underestimate the FX chips' multithreaded ability, which is still good enough to get solid 1080p game performance. Especially the eight core models.

awesomet2005

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

Actually, surprisingly I am 11! A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them that I'm 11. I think I've decided to go with a FX-6300 as that's easier on the very low budget I have. Thanks for all the comments, it's made me change the way I think about computers and specifications as a whole!