Will the Antec Kuhler H20 920 Cool a i5 3570k sufficiently?

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Will the Antec Kuhler H20 920 cool an overclocked Intel Core i5 3570K? I am planning on overclocking the CPU to around 4.5ghz. Will the closed loop water system cool it sufficiently?

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Yes, buy it, no Idea how the GPU would get hotter and a good aircooler would probably be a bit quieter but they take up so much space on the motherboard and there's RAM compatibility to worry about etc...

The all in one coolers want you to mount the radiator so that it draws in cool air from the outside to cool the radiator better.
This takes up one of the cases fan outlets, and discharges the heated air into the case where case cooling has go deal with it.
The cpu does get cooler, but all the other internal parts get hotter air, including the graphics cards.

In comparison tests, the Corsair H100 is superior to the Antec 920, both in terms of cooling efficiency and noise. However the H100 is a 240 radiator, so it will need a dual 120mm fan bay to mount.

Since they are the same price, there's no reason to get the Antec unless you have a space issue. The Corsair rad may be mounted outside the case on the back panel in neccesary.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

I see, I am getting a CM HAF X 942 case... I just heard that the 920 is just a folded up h100 considering that the 920 is thicker yet smaller... Plus, It has space for 4 fans on the h100 right? Would a push-pull confid even aid in the cooling?

Yeah that case should be no problem. Yes, many users do push pull with those rads. I can't say from personal experience with that particular rad, but I can tell you that with a high end air cooler that extra fan makes about a 3 to 5C difference in temps which can be significant when you are overclocking. About the same with my Antec 620 in push pull.

Here's some articles:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1278/pg1/corsair-h100-liquid-cpu-cooler-vs-h80-and-antec-920-review-introduction.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1223040/h100-vs-antec-kuhler-920-with-low-rpm-fans/10

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchmark-overclocking,3084-5.html

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Huh, I see. If I were to use all the 4 fan slots on the H100, i'd have to purchase extra screws and such which isn't a problem. A trip to Home Depot can solve that issue. However, The H20 920 has the fan inputs on the waterblock itself. Does the h100 have a similar design, and if so, does it support 4 fans?

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Sorry about that, mom took me to her friends house. Anyways, I see now it has space on the controller for 4 fans. However, I have heard there is compatibility issues with certain fans being plugged into the controller itself. Also, If i were to do a push pull configuration, should I mount the top 2 fans above the bracket, then the radiator and bottom 2 fans below it? I heard you need more screws for that.. Or i could just attach the entire push-pull configuration under the bracket itself. If i go this method, I can put the 2 200mm fans ontop of the bracket. I heard that adding the larger fans will prohibit proper airflow through the case. I am not sure what to do.

If top mount presents a problem then consider a bottom mount. You can pull fresh air from the bottom of the case, then the top fans can serve as exhaust.

This is not a bad suggestion really. the tubing would be long enough. Well, then your best bet would be top mount or back panel.

Agreed, I think the H100 is your best bet if you can find room to mount it. Otherwise the H80 may be a better choice for you than the Antec 920. Should be more quiet anyway, and a bit more affordable.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Alright, I think I am going to go with that. I am going to try and concoct a Push-Pull Mechanism to go along with it. I still, however, don't know if I should mount the ENTIRE radiator with all 4 fans UNDER the HAF X's Bracket, or Have just the radiator and the bottom fans under and have the other 120mm fans on top. which do u recommend?

From this web page:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1311/8/

How do I mount a radiator on the top?

HAF will support a 240, 360, or 280mm radiator with no modification. Remove the top 200mm fan, and use the 8 holes to attach the radiator. The top panel must be removed by pressing on the internal plastic clips within the chassis. Some extreme radiators over 60mm thick, or too heavy may run into some issues in support, although most 360mm radiators will be accommodated with no issues.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Hmm, I see. So the radiator goes above it?

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Interesting, Never heard of that setup before... Huh. Anyways, I will take your advice since its the same price as the Kuhler with more fan options. Space isn't really a problem. Plus, I don't like the way the 920 is mounted.. Its twisted on intead of screwed down.. And i think the bracket is platic aswell.But yeah, I think i'm also going to purchase these additional fans for the H100. I'll have the stock fans on the bottom pushing, and the top ones pulling. Would that work?Using it as an exhaust.

The fans- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553005&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Looks good to me.