[SOLVED] Will the der8auer OC bracket with a rotated Kraken X62 cover RAM slots?

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
The der8auer OC bracket looks tempting, as the heat isn't transferring very efficiently from my 5800X to the Kraken X62.
I saw it moves your cooler to the right though, and I'm already lacking space in that direction, as one of my RAM slots is covered. I'm thinking of turning the Kraken X62 sideways like this to get around the issue.

If I installed the OC backet, does that only move it to the right a tiny amount, or would it potentially completely render the slot unusable even with the rotated cooler?

I believe I've included relevant specs, but if not, here's my userbenchmark result which has all my parts.
Thanks

Edit: There's only 1 in stock for the whole of the UK so I'm gonna go ahead and order. I would delete this if it'd let me, but since it won't, I guess I can update this in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Solution
The movement to the right and down for me on a 3600x on a Asus Rog Strix x470 F Gaming was only Mm's. With a corsair H150i Elite Capellix.
The only clearance issue I had was the m.2 heatsink was in the way to install the pump head using the stock cpu heatsink retention bracks of the mobo.

Removing the m.2 heatsink then attaching the pump head then replacing the m.2 sink took care of the issue.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always good to leave a record of what you did, might help answer someone else's question.

I don't think anyone can give you a direct answer to your question either. The whole idea of the thing is to offset the CPU cooler over the actual CPU cores, going to be a lot of different options there.

The movement to the right and down for me on a 3600x on a Asus Rog Strix x470 F Gaming was only Mm's. With a corsair H150i Elite Capellix.
The only clearance issue I had was the m.2 heatsink was in the way to install the pump head using the stock cpu heatsink retention bracks of the mobo.

Removing the m.2 heatsink then attaching the pump head then replacing the m.2 sink took care of the issue.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most Ryzens don't use a monolithic die. They use multiple die, connected by Infinity Fabric to spread the heat load away from the cores more efficiently. This puts the 'cores' on the right hand side of the cpu. Because of the Ryzen IHS this can create a few issues with aio pumps, especially the asetek's as they are smaller and round.

Der8aur redesigned that mount to move the pump away from the center, to the right a few mm, which puts more of the coldplate fins centered more directly over the cores. Because there's 2 chiplets on the right, and only 1 on the left, this move is fine, still covers all the chiplets, but covers the 2 core chiplets better.

Changing the direction of the mount negates that advantage totally, you'd be better served not using it at all as you'd end up uncovering possibly a portion of 1 or both core chiplets and certainly moving the microfins away from where they'd do the most good.

As far as rotating the actual pump, that doesn't matter in the slightest. The only things that affects are possible air traps, length of tubing etc. You can turn that pump in any direction and it works the same. Just looks funky with the way the logo sits, although some models allow for that to change as well.

Last edited:

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
After all this, I just tried to do the replacement and found it needed my original mounting bracket screws - which are across the country right now due to lockdown.
I'll have to try again once I move back to where I work, can however happily say the answer to my original question is "there's plenty of space" after rotating the Kraken.

I do have one more question though, with the Der8aur design, it really wasn't obvious as to which of the 3 holes in the offset things to use.
Would anyone happen to have a clue about that? Both me and my dad couldn't figure it out from the instructions.

I don't think anyone can give you a direct answer to your question either.

I was wary of that haha, thought it wouldn't hurt to take the chance though, and to be honest the reply by @Crosslhs82x2 pretty much nailed it.

Changing the direction of the mount negates that advantage totally, you'd be better served not using it at all as you'd end up uncovering possibly a portion of 1 or both core chiplets and certainly moving the microfins away from where they'd do the most good.

You can turn that pump in any direction and it works the same. Just looks funky with the way the logo sits.

Thanks for the extra background on it, not sure if you slightly misread my question or were just issuing a general warning, but I definitely wasn't going to rotate the mounting offset itself haha.
I only actually considered rotating the pump because I saw a picture of an almost identical build to mine, and the sideways text actually looked fine in that orientation.

Hey
Thanks for updating us.
There is definitely a difference in the brackets we are using in measurements.
My brackets are for watercoolers that use the stock Amd retention brackets and yours is the custom set.
So ya a totally different way of mounting.

Mounting sideways as shown should be Ok
But I think myself I would do it with the tubes on the bottom side.

All should be good as long as the pump is not the highest point in the cooling system.
Be sure the rad is higher then the pump so the air stays in the rad.

I don't have to worry about that as my rad is mounted up top as exhaust so it is the highest point for the air.

Please post back when you finish with some results.

TRENDING THREADS