Will the DUKE ever show his ugly face again?

Will the duke ever see the light of day?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I was reading through the inquirer this morning and found a story on the long delayed Duke Nukem game:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36538

Now the story did say that it was defiantly not in anyway possible going to be released in January. But that got me thinking, this game is the longest delayed game in history. Will this game ever be released to the public, short of an SAS raid on their server room?

Vote and voice your opinion:

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Ha, I was going to say, "Yes, in a screenshot!" But then I actually read the post. Now I will say 'yes' here, and vote 'no' just to cover my bases.

Edit: Actually, isn't Gravy Trader the most delayed video game in history? :lol:

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I voted yes, because I think sooner or later (rather later) some game on some platform (not necessarily PC) will be released by some company with the words DUKE NUKEM in the game's title. I just do not know when, and if in my lifetime.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I voted no in terms of just Duke Nukem Forever itself. I know it's obviously in "existence" in whichever incomplete form it's in these days (the current build has a feature where you can send a live email to anybody - though it's gonna get caught in spambot filters - from the Duke from any computer in the game!) but quite frankly, unlike Prey, DNF has a certain standard in expectation.

To put it more clearly, people are going to want the best game ever & will be satisfied with nothing less. At the moment, 3D Realms is not capable of releasing that Duke Nukem Forever. I do not believe they ever will be. What I believe is that 3D Realms will develop on into (probably) eternity trying to reach that goal. It's really too late for them to release something else. They'll have to top Half-Life 2 quite easily, which is actually rather hard. They'll have to have EVERYTHING.

I don't see it happening.

But to deny its very existence is folly.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes it will. It will probably be a big disapointment, but Duke Nukem Forever will probably come out and from what I have been reading, probably next year.

I don't expect much out of it at this point. It has taken long past the grace period I give a title to work out all the kinks and bugs and polish it up to make it "ready" (and I really do allow for quite a long time to make it right the first time). Now I am at the 'just release the damned thing and be done with it' phase.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Yup, as above it will be released sometime.

It has the chance of being exceptional tbh. I'm not gonna give up that little glimmer of hope if not as a single player then maybe multiplayer might be redeemable.

More realistically I feel it will be an average game..... I'm coming to think that whilst first person shooters are my favorite genre they are slowly stagnating in many respects. I don't hear or see anything about DNF that makes me think the game will in anyway be exceptional but then who knows eh? The company must have wasted some serious man hours on the game tho.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
The fact that the odds are against it being the be-all-and-end-all game is the very reason I don't think they'll ever truly release it.

They're far past the point of no return. They'll just continue to reach for the unatainable goal until they're all bankrupt & dead.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I shook the Magic 8-ball on this one - "Outlook Cloudy" was the result.

I have a hard time imagining it will be worth anything once released, if it does see the light of day on a retail shelf. This game has been through more changes than an average bill in the US Congress gets, and that can't be good. I can just imagine Duke as the old villager from Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "I'm not dead yet...I'm getting better..." - and at this point he deserves the same treatment; conk him on the head and end the suffering.

MowTin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I think it will be released when those fools a 3DRealms go bankrupt and cell the rights to some competent organization. Who is in charge of that company? Who is the project manager? Don't you get fired for a project that is like 10 years past the deadline?

"It will be done when it's done." That's there problem right there. What kind of company has a moto like that? Ever heard of a deadline or target date?

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
I had no idea 3D Realms still exhisted. Figured they'd been bought out like everything else.

Hopefully 3D Realms gives it up and moves on as DN Forever strayed far from what was set in 96' with Duke3D. The main importance, imo, be the story line. As you see with everything, number 3 tends to suck - Smokey and the Bandit 3, Doctor Doo-Little 3 and so on. Unreal started to suck at number 2. Maybe 3D Realms could stun us with a Doom3. Something that you can call a 'library keeper'.

My rambling point is that as long as 3D Realms keeps thier head on and doesn't try to produce for the 'pop' and mass multiplayer market, as Unreals' path after #1, it could turn out to be a hit - at least on my bookshelf. I have no mercy for a company trying to get rich off my dollar. So let it take 5 years, if it turns out to be a failure, that decapitated Doom marine from Duke3D will be biting thier asses.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Two things you forgot there...

-3D Realms just made a ****load of money on Prey.

-Doom 3 is actually the 4th game in the series. Final DOOM is DOOM 3. Doom 3 is DOOM 4.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Prey had been in development since before DNF started ('95 vs. '97), with Max Payne around the same time. I read a preview of all three in PCGamer in Nov. '97, with DNF as the cover story. It would actually surprise me if it wasn't released given 3D Realms' track record, though I wouldn't particularly care if it was canceled as the two I was looking forward to have already been released. :wink:

GyRo567, Final Doom wasn't Doom 3. Even though it included 64 levels, twice as many as Doom 2, it was more like an expansion pack released to tide people over until Quake came out that same year. If it had been a full sequel, it would have included new monsters and new weapons.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
:lol:

Talk about taking thier time. Should be a half-decent game if they are sticking with the theme and not overdoing it.
I've lost my faith in every 3rd make along with certain sequals. You can bluntly tell when game (or hollywood even) tries monopolizing on something.

Take Unreal. The first game was brilliant, beautiful, breaking and inovative for it's time (personaly, twice the visual apeal than it's Q2 competeitor) ... Unreal 2 was produced upon the same engine, yet multiplayer only. Bleh - maybe I'm too sentementel but, imo, they just screwed their integrity. And have ever since. :? Should had left it alone or kept with the grounded idea though the net code was just too good at that time to leave alone. Bastards. :roll:

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
In this case I can actually disagree & say Unreal Tournament (1999) was actually the best game of the series. It's still the only one worth playing from my perspective.

GyRo567, Final Doom wasn't Doom 3. Even though it included 64 levels, twice as many as Doom 2, it was more like an expansion pack released to tide people over until Quake came out that same year. If it had been a full sequel, it would have included new monsters and new weapons.

That wasn't meant to be taken in a complete literal sense, but Doom 3 still wasn't the 3rd DOOM game.

And by that logic, it should be DOOM 2, which is already a taken title. All three of the first releases used the same engine & same game mechanics.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Hey, what's wrong with that logic? :) (My early apologies, I'm a Doom junkie. My PC gaming, hardware, and programming experience began with Doom 2. I don't think you really asked for all this, but I'm going to give it to you. :wink: )

If I'm not mistaken, you could run "doom2 -wad plutonia.wad" and it would work fine, without the proper narrative though. You'd need a dehacked patch for that as it was part of the exe. (Please tell me I'm not the only one here who used dehacked... :oops: )

However, you couldn't use "doom2 -wad doom.wad" or "doom -wad doom2.wad" as they were completely different. I did provide a link to explain this: "Final DOOM is an official addon that adds two new episodes to DOOM II." Also from id's own site: "Two New, 32-Level DOOM II Episodes."

Final Doom was mostly developed outside of id anyway by TeamTNT. The Final Doom Wikipedia article lists TeamTNT's website, which contains this quote of further clarification: "Final DOOM...contains two new 32-level replacement WADs for DOOM2, and an updated executable to allow full text replacements for the level names in the maps and the intermission texts." Looks like I was correct with the dehacked non-sense. :wink:

Seriously, Doom 3 isn't even Doom 3. It's Doom all over again, as you seem to have said. But you know how good id is with game names as Quake 1-3 had absolutely nothing to do with one another. And Quake 4, the only real sequel since Doom 2, was developed out of house by Raven.

As another interesting bit of trivia, if you ever used Doom Legacy (a popular source port for the doom engine), it was originally named doom3.exe and installed in the Doom3 directory by default. I had a problem when installing id's Doom 3 as C:\Games\Doom3 was already taken.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah. I agree with you. Doom3 should be Doom2 and ID's Doom2 and Final Doom should be 'Episode 2' and '3'. A new number after the game name should not be valid if the game dynamics haven't changed (IM over analyitical O).

TeamTNT had some of the best multiplayer wads throughout. Even today, I think these maps are killer compared to something like UT's.

Doom1 has actualy been redone as an extension to Doom3 on it's engine. Original Doom I thinks it's called. It's a real blast-to-the-past to play. The music was redone with Composer I think. I'll try to find a link and get back.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Wow, I didn't know that about Final DOOM! :D

Regardless, I still agree that Doom 3 isn't Doom 3 and that Final DOOM shouldn't be classified as an expansion to DOOM 2 so much as DOOM, because it was longer than the full game, and DOOM 2 was mostly the same too. But technicalities don't really apply here so this can mostly be reduced to "I still think the naming scheme is stupid." & doesn't mean much else.

I feel incoherent. I should go to bed.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

Talk about taking thier time. Should be a half-decent game if they are sticking with the theme and not overdoing it.
I've lost my faith in every 3rd make along with certain sequals. You can bluntly tell when game (or hollywood even) tries monopolizing on something.

Take Unreal. The first game was brilliant, beautiful, breaking and inovative for it's time (personaly, twice the visual apeal than it's Q2 competeitor) ... Unreal 2 was produced upon the same engine, yet multiplayer only. Bleh - maybe I'm too sentementel but, imo, they just screwed their integrity. And have ever since. :? Should had left it alone or kept with the grounded idea though the net code was just too good at that time to leave alone. Bastards. :roll:

can i just clear something up with the Unreal games here,

Unreal was the first game which was single player,
next was Unreal Tournament multiplayer game(its not really based of unreal except names)
after that there was Unreal 2 the awakening(massive flop buggy game)
next Unreal Tournament 2003 which sucked big time, it was sloppy coded and ran slow on fast machines(based on same code as Unreal 2),
next was UT2004 which was built with a new unreal engine, and was meant to replace UT2003 because the developers realised how buggy it was. coincedently UT2003 was took off the selves when UT2004 came out and the new UT2004 games came with an offer saying that if they returned ut2003 to an address you would get some money back.

anyway back to the topic, i dont think duke nukem will come out, its way past the point where it would be worth selling, people are no longer bothered about duke nukem except for a few old fans, anybody new to the duke will need to see lots of advertising, for the game to actually sell.

plus i think it will be a dissapointment when it does come out.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You underestimate the power that word of mouth has. Simply by delaying the game this long it has made it appear in news articles in almost every single gaming and tech news site on the Internet. Everyone that has some interest in to gaming knows what this game is and will most likely be interested in finding out what it is like when… (if) it is released.

Also you forgot to mention the free multiplayer mod that they released for Unreal 2 that was actually quite good.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
"It will be done when it's done." That's there problem right there. What kind of company has a moto like that?

id Software?

However, I do agree that even if DNF is out, the company that can't deliver for so long time, can't put good game. So if it is out, I expect it be mediocre.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I heard the sole programmer went out on sick leave... he'll be back in 3 months to continue writing the code for DNF.

Also, I heard he moonlights at Taco Bell for extra cash.

:roll:

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I heard the sole programmer when out on sick leave... he'll be back in 3 months to continue writing the code for DNF.

Also, I heard he moonlights at Taco Bell for extra cash.

Ah crap. Does this mean I have to go back and change my story about the Greatest Games Never Published? DNF is #4.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/06/13/the_best_games_never_published/

Personally, I was never a big Duke fan. And if a game takes, like, 10 years to make, it's usually a bad sign (re: Prey).