Will the "future" ever happen? I think not.

SerbianGuy211

Reputable
Jul 27, 2016
Honestly, I think that for the most of us ordinary people, technology and other stuff has reached it's peak and can only go back from here. I don't think that flying cars or whatever ideas people have in mind now will become a reality. Maybe, but only for a small portion of people. Yeah - we will have faster internet, maybe electrical cars (for everyone I mean), but I don't believe there's gonna be much new world-changing innovations. Come to think of it - the last decade (2009-2019) hasn't really changed much except in capacities, if you understand me. What's your take on it?

I disagree. Sure, from the consumer standpoint things are just going to get incrementally better, that is how companies play it safe and ensure maximum profits. However, there are a lot of places where technology is on the verge of world changing revolution. Between actual AI, wearable tech, medical equipment, human/machine interfaces, automation, energy production, and transportation, there are really big advances on the horizon.

The thing is that the "future" is never what anyone expects and things change so slowly that people have a hard time seeing the change. Take LED lighting. In 2009 florescent lighting was the big push. LEDs hadn't ever been used for anything on the scale of the incandescent or florescent light. Sure, we didn't get a revolutionary product, but we did get an evolution of an everyday item, an evolution that was very unlikely 10-15 years ago.

When I was growing up it was hard to see the differences when the 80's ticked over to the 90's, but looking back things changed A LOT. Then from the 90's to the 00's, things changed a lot again, and you can see the difference looking back, but as far as living it goes you don't notice it as much. I think that if you really look back at things from a decade ago, you'll see some other big changes.

As for the envisioned future of decades past, no. Those ideas of what could have been aren't going to happen. We got a pretty big look at it in 2015, when the envisioned future from Back to the Future Part II straight up wasn't accurate. Ideas of "the future" change. We can only ever imagine things based on our experiences, and even then it is just a mix of things that we are familiar with. I mean really, a fax machine in every room of the house is utterly laughable now, but that is what they saw. Revolutionary ideas are few and far between. If they were easy to have they wouldn't be revolutionary.

In something like the Jetsons we see floating cities, flying cars, meals in a pill, robot maids, and a bunch of other far out stuff. However, they didn't see the cellular phone, touch screens, the personal computer, online shopping, or even the internet. Back to the Future saw flying cars, holograms, smart clothes and other wearable tech, automated restaurants, and many other things, but they still missed a lot of what actually existed in 2015. Other depictions of the future are very much a product of their times, and often are an influence on future tech, like Star Trek.

We'll never have the imagined future, all we can really hope for is a future influenced by imagination, and so far we are doing pretty ok at that.

Reactions: DMAN999 and King_V

Mandark

Distinguished
flying cars, yeah, never going to happen. most drivers are too stupid to navigate in two dimensions--let alone three. air traffic control would be the wild west.

forget the stupid things you saw as a kid. tech, medicine, it all got WAY better so far.

I think you may be a tad bit unreasonable, and it takes decades and centuries to see WOW kinds of change.

gn842a

Respectable
Oct 10, 2016
Well, things have changed a great deal since the 1950s, and not all for the good I'm afraid. But wow things are happening in genetics (and biological science generally), medicine, space flight and space sciences.

The black hole picture of M87, if you followed that news, is a stunning technical achievement. My 14" telescope has a theoretical resolution of .35 arc seconds. On a good night I can resolve maybe a one or two mile object on the moon. kThe Hubble space telescope has a resolution of may be .005 arc seconds, that's excellent, but you're still talking about seeing at best football stadium sized objects if the were to turn it on the moon (which they won't, it's too sensitive). The radio telescope picture of the black hole in m87 is at a resolution of 40 micro arc seconds. Thats 40 millionths of an arc second or .00004 arc seconds or two orders of magnitude better than Hubble. A radio telescope won't tell you much about the moon but if you had a light telescope that powerful and lunar aliens wanted to play football in standard stadium you'd be able to follow the game.

That's quite an achievement. I think there's a fair chance that someone will detect an earth sized planet with an oxygen atmosphere before I croak.

GN

Reactions: anort3
Jun 28, 2019
I disagree. Sure, from the consumer standpoint things are just going to get incrementally better, that is how companies play it safe and ensure maximum profits. However, there are a lot of places where technology is on the verge of world changing revolution. Between actual AI, wearable tech, medical equipment, human/machine interfaces, automation, energy production, and transportation, there are really big advances on the horizon.

The thing is that the "future" is never what anyone expects and things change so slowly that people have a hard time seeing the change. Take LED lighting. In 2009 florescent lighting was the big push. LEDs hadn't ever been used for anything on the scale of the incandescent or florescent light. Sure, we didn't get a revolutionary product, but we did get an evolution of an everyday item, an evolution that was very unlikely 10-15 years ago.

When I was growing up it was hard to see the differences when the 80's ticked over to the 90's, but looking back things changed A LOT. Then from the 90's to the 00's, things changed a lot again, and you can see the difference looking back, but as far as living it goes you don't notice it as much. I think that if you really look back at things from a decade ago, you'll see some other big changes.

As for the envisioned future of decades past, no. Those ideas of what could have been aren't going to happen. We got a pretty big look at it in 2015, when the envisioned future from Back to the Future Part II straight up wasn't accurate. Ideas of "the future" change. We can only ever imagine things based on our experiences, and even then it is just a mix of things that we are familiar with. I mean really, a fax machine in every room of the house is utterly laughable now, but that is what they saw. Revolutionary ideas are few and far between. If they were easy to have they wouldn't be revolutionary.

In something like the Jetsons we see floating cities, flying cars, meals in a pill, robot maids, and a bunch of other far out stuff. However, they didn't see the cellular phone, touch screens, the personal computer, online shopping, or even the internet. Back to the Future saw flying cars, holograms, smart clothes and other wearable tech, automated restaurants, and many other things, but they still missed a lot of what actually existed in 2015. Other depictions of the future are very much a product of their times, and often are an influence on future tech, like Star Trek.

We'll never have the imagined future, all we can really hope for is a future influenced by imagination, and so far we are doing pretty ok at that.

Mic drop

ASK THE COMMUNITY