[SOLVED] Will the GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X be sufficient enough for the 9900K?

ipwnhackers123

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not seeing much information on this board and CPU together as far as temps go and compatibility wise. I'm more worried about temps and how well it can handle 5Ghz turbo on all cores. I'm on strict budget of 1,000 and in dire need of upgrading from 4790K and a maximus vii hero as DIMM slot A1 and A2 went out. PSU's lifespan is near it's end as well.

4790K 4.5Ghz
Maximus VII HERO
16GB G.skill 2133 Oced 2300
CX600 watt PSU
GTX 1080TI FTW3

Solution
Can you put all what you said into one post please? So I can mark this as SOLVED for anyone wanting to know about this information as well?
IMO the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X should be a great board, I'd rather have that than the ASUS Prime Z390-A that I'm using with an i9-9900KF.

I always buy very good (usually Seasonic) PSUs, but the EVGA 750 GQ that you found is fine, but at that price level I would go with EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W if you are in the US, good unit with 10 year warranty.

I'm not a liquid cooling fan so not the best one to ask. I use big cases so have a beQuiet dark rock pro 4.

That EVGA G3 that you found refurbished is made by Superflower, one of the best and I would be...

ipwnhackers123

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
IMO the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming should be a great board, I'd rather have that than the ASUS Prime Z390-A that I'm using with an i9-9900KF. I always buy very good (usually Seasonic) PSUs.

I'm sorry I forgot to add the X at the end.... pardon me.
Meant to say will the GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X be sufficient enough for the 9900K and what cooler would you recommend to use? I might be case limited who knows. I can throw a picture if needed.

RealBeast

Titan
I'm sorry I forgot to add the X at the end.... pardon me.
Meant to say will the GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X be sufficient enough for the 9900K and what cooler would you recommend to use? I might be case limited who knows. I can throw a picture if needed.
Yeah, I knew you meant the X.
Sure, the EVGA 750 GQ is fine, but at that price level I would go with EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W if you are in the US, good unit with 10 year warranty.

ipwnhackers123

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Yeah, I knew you meant the X.
Sure, the EVGA 750 GQ is fine, but at that price level I would go with EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W if you are in the US, good unit with 10 year warranty.

Ok sweet. for 100 dollars I found a EVGA Supernova G3 850W manufacture refurbished with 10 year warranty with it. Any ideas for cooling? maybe an AIO? case is pretty tight as it is.
20200401_064337.jpg
20200401_064300.jpg

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Ok sweet. for 100 dollars I found a EVGA Supernova G3 850W manufacture refurbished with 10 year warranty with it. Any ideas for cooling? maybe an AIO? case is pretty tight as it is.
I'm not a liquid cooling fan so not the best one to ask. I use big cases so have a beQuiet dark rock pro 4.

That EVGA G3 is made by Superflower, one of the best and I would be comfortable with a refurb with a 10 year warranty.

RealBeast

Titan
Perfect, I listed my PC case above if that helps with cooling limitation's at all.
I'd measure the available space, then take a look at the graph of various coolers air and liquid HERE to see which will fit, cool around the green lined one -- the beQuiet, and will fit your budget. I wanted an air cooler that competes with mid range liquid but it is huge. It was also key for me that it fit over the top of 4 tall memory sticks, so look into that too. Anything above the green line result will cool quite adequately for an i9-9900 overclocked.

ipwnhackers123

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
I'd measure the available space, then take a look at the graph of various coolers air and liquid HERE to see which will fit, cool around the green lined one -- the beQuiet, and will fit your budget. I wanted an air cooler that competes with mid range liquid but it is huge. It was also key for me that it fit over the top of 4 tall memory sticks, so look into that too. Anything above the green line result will cool quite adequately for an i9-9900 overclocked.
So I have everything on order as well as the dark rock pro 4 and Trident Z RGB 3600. RAM clearance shouldn't be an issue then? As far as i'm seeing with it on part picker and forum posts of other people's experience. That said so the Dark rock pro 4 should be able to carry the 9900K at 5Ghz and maybe a little overclock? It get's cold up here (Got the 1080ti FTW3 down to 8C idle) on a cooler master hyper 212evo

RealBeast

Titan
Great! It sounds like a great build! I really like that cooler -- the outer fan side sits just above your memory but the clearance is adequate -- you can place the memory first or after the Dark Rock but before the inner fan is snapped on. I just installed the sticks before putting the whole thing on.

ipwnhackers123

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Great! It sounds like a great build! I really like that cooler -- the outer fan side sits just above your memory but the clearance is adequate -- you can place the memory first or after the Dark Rock but before the inner fan is snapped on. I just installed the sticks before putting the whole thing on.
Can you put all what you said into one post please? So I can mark this as SOLVED for anyone wanting to know about this information as well?

RealBeast

Titan
IMO the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X should be a great board, I'd rather have that than the ASUS Prime Z390-A that I'm using with an i9-9900KF.

I always buy very good (usually Seasonic) PSUs, but the EVGA 750 GQ that you found is fine, but at that price level I would go with EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W if you are in the US, good unit with 10 year warranty.

That EVGA G3 that you found refurbished is made by Superflower, one of the best and I would be comfortable with a refurb with a 10 year warranty.

For a quick look at air or liquid cooling performance, I'd measure the available space, then take a look at the graph of various coolers air and liquid HERE to see which will fit, cool around the green lined one -- the beQuiet, and will fit your budget. I wanted an air cooler that competes with mid range liquid but it is huge. It was also key for me that it fit over the top of 4 tall memory sticks, so look into that too. Anything above the green line result will cool quite adequately for an i9-9900 overclocked.

With the beQuiet Cooler the outer fan side sits just above your memory but the clearance is adequate -- you can place the memory first or after the Dark Rock but before the inner fan is snapped on. I just installed the sticks before putting the whole thing on.

Nice build.

Solution