Will the GTX 1080 fit in this system?

So my sibling has an older PC, with the specs in my Signature.

So essentially what happened 2 months ago was that I had tried to update the drivers for the GTX 760 on their system. The update kept on failing, and eventually, I uninstalled the GeForce Experience and all other Nvidia files I could find on the Application Manager on Control Panel.

I then tried to reinstall these files, by selecting the option of a "clean install" in the installer window, like shown:
cb-151111-jpg.3987

It would constantly say that installation has failed. So eventually, I managed to open device manager and find an old driver of about 5 months which was on the computer and installed that.

As such, I am not too sure but I think my drivers are corrupted.

Thus, if I were to buy a GTX 1080 and install it in my siblings PC, would it work? Would the drivers be corrupted still? Or is it a no go?

Solution

You can download any version of Nvidia's recent drivers from their website at any time. I haven't tried rolling back before with an Nvidia GPU and I didn't even know it was possible, but it is not really important to keep or key to keep older Nvidia drivers installed on your PC.
Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to try out the 760 in another PC. But I am just curious to understand how you deduced it would be the 760's fault?

Also, would it be safe to go ahead and pick up the new 1080 and pop it in? Shall I use DDU to uninstall all the drivers and then reinstall it with the 1080? Or would that be a risk?

If it is the GPU fault, would it be okay if I simply remove the 760 and add the 1080 in? Sorry for the various questions, I just don't want to regret spending over $700 SGD for a card.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with free fixes. Goto nvidia and download a fresh copy of the drivers you need for that 760. Save to desktop. Then goto guru3d.com and download DDU. This will fully delete all the nvidia references. It'll work through safe mode. Then install the new drivers.

Device manager should show a good install. You should also update the mobo bios and drivers. New windows updates can have issues with the legacy drivers and cause drivers conflicts.

With a gtx760, that's 1080p 60Hz at best. No need for a gtx1080, that's way overkill, a $250 gtx1060 6Gb would be just fine

I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they is moving to a 1440p monitor and wants a card that will last for a long time, thus they want the 1080.

Also, if the method you have suggested does not work, shall I roll back the drivers again?

Essentially, we had noticed that the FPS had been dropping across the different titles he plays, namely BF4 and PUBG. What used to be nearly 60 FPS constant, at Low settings, was now fluctuating between 40 and 60 FPS. As such, I tried to update the drivers for their card to the latest drivers as to see if it would be fixed. However, it did not allow me to update them itself, and that is where this problem has started.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

You can download any version of Nvidia's recent drivers from their website at any time. I haven't tried rolling back before with an Nvidia GPU and I didn't even know it was possible, but it is not really important to keep or key to keep older Nvidia drivers installed on your PC.

Solution