[SOLVED] Will the GTX 760 still be usable after its support has been discontinued

Aether229

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
As the title says.

Will the graphics card still be usable and if so to what extent?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
What do you mean by way of dropped support?

For instance, I have a repurposed R7 1700 build that in order to get a display I am currently using a GT210 in and was able to find a modern Win 10 supported driver.

NVidia did a press release stating that driver support for GeForce 600 and 700 cards would be dropped soon. Also, I doubt your 210 driver is all that recent. It's going to be on whatever the last legacy driver for it was, which may be several years old by now, and there won't be anymore updates for it.

The dropping of driver support for 200 series cards was announced here in 2014.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-eol-graphics-card,26304.html

So while you may be good for Windows 10, what will you do when...

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
As technology gets left behind, it usually hits a point where it just isn't usable anymore, realistically.

In your case, even if NVidia stops including support for it with new drivers, they'll always have a library of all of the old drivers that should still work fine. Your card will physically die before you'd be unable to get drivers that work with it.

Reactions: Bassman999

Joseph_138

Distinguished
What do you mean by way of dropped support?

For instance, I have a repurposed R7 1700 build that in order to get a display I am currently using a GT210 in and was able to find a modern Win 10 supported driver.

NVidia did a press release stating that driver support for GeForce 600 and 700 cards would be dropped soon. Also, I doubt your 210 driver is all that recent. It's going to be on whatever the last legacy driver for it was, which may be several years old by now, and there won't be anymore updates for it.

The dropping of driver support for 200 series cards was announced here in 2014.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-eol-graphics-card,26304.html

So while you may be good for Windows 10, what will you do when Windows 11 comes out soon? You won't have a driver for your video card anymore.

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
As the title says.

Will the graphics card still be usable and if so to what extent?

Thanks in advance!

You'll still be able to run whatever the last driver version was before support was discontinued with Windows 10, BUT Windows 11 is coming soon, and there won't likely be a new driver for any card that had support discontinued before it is released. So as long as you stay on Windows 10, you'll be good, but if you upgrade to Windows 11, you'll most likely have to change to a newer graphics card.

Strangely, you might have been better off getting a 750Ti, than a 760. The 750Ti is a Maxwell based card, and as such, it belongs more with the GeForce 900 family than with the GeForce 700 family. It will most likely remain in driver support at least until the GeForce 900 series is dropped, which most likely doesn't have more than a year or two left based on it's age. If you're going to upgrade, I'd wait until prices come down and get something like a 1050 Ti or one of the 1060 variants because they will be on driver support longer than anything from GeForce 900 family. If you buy a GeForce 900 card now, you'll be having to upgrade it again in a year or two if you still want to receive regular driver updates.

Last edited: