Will the GTX 880 Be Announced at Gamescom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2013
I honestly think it is going to be a lot better for anyone considering an upgrade to wait until the gtx 900 series or AMD's 400 series to upgrade when they finally get a process shrink down to 20nm. Should see a pretty nice performance gain I would think

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
From what we know of Maxwell with the 750/750 Ti, there will be a solid 30% power savings, 30% improvement, or a mixture of both. Being that 28nm is most likely the silicon given TSMC's multiple delays, both venders are going to be limited on what they can do outside the scope of architecture differences.

At this point I don't even think we can expect GDDR6 which was scheduled for 2014 cards. More then anything I'd just like to see the Nvidia GPU's come off their high horse down to reasonable prices. If we get to look forward to x80 cards starting at $649 and Titan/x80 Ti's in the future messing up the pricing we're in for a rough few generations until that cash cow blows up like it has before.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly think it is going to be a lot better for anyone considering an upgrade to wait until the gtx 900 series or AMD's 400 series to upgrade when they finally get a process shrink down to 20nm. Should see a pretty nice performance gain I would think

You do realize that the GTX 800 series (not the laptop versions) will be 20nm right? That's the whole reason it's taken so long for the 800 series to drop, because TMSC hadn't been able to get the 20nm shrink to go as they were having problems with their manufacturing processes.

Jan 5, 2013

You do realize that the GTX 800 series (not the laptop versions) will be 20nm right? That's the whole reason it's taken so long for the 800 series to drop, because TMSC hadn't been able to get the 20nm shrink to go as they were having problems with their manufacturing processes.
Given TSMC's delays regarding the 20nm process that we were told about earlier this year I would be surprised if the 800 series will be using 20nm, that being said I would be very happy if I am wrong :)

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I'm in the same boat. Although I'm not playing on ultra settings on all my games with my 5850 that I can't justify the upgrade for more FPS than can even be used by my 120Hz monitor, and still fewer FPS to get full 120FPS on the latest titles. Will definitely be a huge upgrade going from 1Gb VRam to 3+ though, thankfully I'm a (fairly) patient individual.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
No 20 nm, no h.265, no price drop. No sale. This thing is barely faster than a 780ti. It can't do 4k, even in SLI. Power savings are great if you are trying to run without a connector in a SFF. But for your flagship?

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'll wait for the 900 series. My GTX 680 is still running circles around every game at 1080p which is fine for me.

So far I haven't been overly impressed with the 800 series. Some better power saving features (I control it anyways) and a marginal increase in performance that does not warrant a $500+ purchase.

Sort of feels like the GPU market has stagnated as of late. Ever since the 40nm there really hasn't been a huge innovation on the architecture. The wafer price scaling gets pretty ridiculous at 20nm. We're most likely going to see some pricey 800 series.

The strangest thing is that TSMC absolutely hates 20nm. They see it as a waste of R&D for a high performance product. TBH, we're running into a bandwidth wall (4k), which the 800 series (if rumors are accurate) aren't addressing.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

These GM204 cards, and likely most if not all of the 800 series lineup will be 28nm Maxwell. This has been pretty much confirmed by leaked specs, TSMC's continued process delays, and die shots. The images that leaked around 2 weeks ago place GM204 die area estimates at just south of GK110, so we're talking a large high-end chip at 28nm. At 20nm it should be much closer to your standard ~300mm^2 upper mid range GPU.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
At this point I don't even think we can expect GDDR6 which was scheduled for 2014 cards.
From what I've read it's likely GDDR5, unfortunately. I'd think that would be a major bottleneck for GM204 on a 256-bit interface, but Maxwell is much more efficient with its memory bandwidth, so it might not be that bad. The large cache certainly helps.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This thing is barely faster than a 780ti. It can't do 4k, even in SLI. Power savings are great if you are trying to run without a connector in a SFF. But for your flagship?
There are so many unknowns. If this is a legit leak it's ~20% faster in 3Dmark, and of course there are the usual pre-release drivers to take into consideration, especially for a new architecture. We don't know if this is a fully enabled GM204, it could be the GTX870 for example. Also, you have to take this in context dude. If this was GM210 (or whatever it's going to be called) on 20nm then ya, that would be bad. But this is GM204 at 28nm, adjust your expectations. A 20% performance improvement over the 780ti while still on 28nm ain't bad.

G

I miss the performance races of the 90's... those were the days kids. :)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Hopefully, the announce of GTX 880 and 870 will reduce the price of 780 ti !

Unlikely. All that will happen is that seller sites will be encouraged to allow their
stock of 700 series cards to dribble away before they started selling 800 models.
This happens again and again with various types of new tech product.

Ian.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
My two 580's need an upgrade. Can't handle 2560x1440, so i hope the 800 series does come out, though i hate being the early adopter knowing a year or less the next series improved comes out. But i am in desperate need for some power and i really want to pick up a Nvidia shield tablet.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
ill upgrade again in 2 years

ddr4, pcie 4, usb 3.1, displayport 2.0, pcie ssd's... should be ideal. even then, i bet my 3570k+r9 290+16gb ddr3 will be kicking butt.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Quite possibly the dumbest question Tom's Hardware has ever posed to its members. Obviously the answer is a resounding no. Nvidia announces a series up to X7X (870 in this instance) and then waits to announce the flagship.

Then of course this "flagship" is merely going to be a 870 rebranded with a higher clock or memory bandwidth.

Everyone would do well to wait for the Maxwell refresh in 2016-2017

Quite possibly the dumbest question Tom's Hardware has ever posed to its members. Obviously the answer is a resounding no. Nvidia announces a series up to X7X (870 in this instance) and then waits to announce the flagship.

Then of course this "flagship" is merely going to be a 870 rebranded with a higher clock or memory bandwidth.

Everyone would do well to wait for the Maxwell refresh in 2016-2017

...except that that's not what they do, mate. The gtx 670 came out several months after the 680, and you can look at their history and clearly see that they lead with their flagship cards. Those are the most impressive, those are what they can advertise heavily, and those are the most complicated; thus what they want to make sure they have a stock of before release, so that they don't have huge issues with the manufacturing like they have before.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
No 20 nm, no h.265, no price drop. No sale. This thing is barely faster than a 780ti. It can't do 4k, even in SLI. Power savings are great if you are trying to run without a connector in a SFF. But for your flagship?

I beg to differ, I am running 4k right now no problem with 2x780(non ti) cards in sli, Pretty sure 800 series wont be any worse, Even if these are just the midrange cards it will still be better. I think it will be like this, First will be 28nm 880 cards which will be small die and marketed as high end like 680, Then you will have 980 next year on 20nm, Few months later there will be a 980ti card. The 980ti card will be the one to get.
Hopefully I am completely wrong and the 880GTX will be awesome so I can upgrade, Really could use some more Vram on stock cards for 4k Nvidia!

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Are your cards 1.5GB models? That would indeed suffer somewhat at 1440. Two 3GB 580s isn't too bad,
but certainly newer cards have more oomph. I've been accumulating benchmark data, so if it's of any help
when checking reviews, note that two 580s is a hefty bit better than a single 7970 at 1440.

Ian.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I dont have much experience with SLI/Xfire, but from what I gather the vram doesn't stack between cards only the processing power. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.