[SOLVED] will the h150i pro be enough for the 12900k

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
hi guys, just got the new 12900k in hands after almost a year of waiting, my concern is if my h150i that i got not too long ago will be enough to cool the 12900k and how would it perform from mild to high overclocks? if that isn't enough, what should id be looking for?

Lutfij

Titan
The support list on the page for the Pro shows that it's compatible with LGA1200 but nothing mentioned for the LGA1700. Even if the radiator size was alright, yes you'll be fine surface area wise to cool the processor, I don't think you're going to have an easy time mounting that cooling block onto the CPU socket. Unless you're referring to another H150i...?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Are you referring to rad size or the CPU block?

Rad size: Itll be fine - An RTX 3080 pumping 350watts of heat can be cooled with a 240mm just fine. 12900k by comparison hits a peak 250watt on 100% load, albeit the charateristics of the processor is different. Itll be fine. Heck even look at the X299 platforms, Intel 10980xes are cooled by similar sized rads

CPU Block wise: Provided you got the Z690 mounting hardware, it should be okay. The support list is widening for current model coolers. The size of the block is greater than the size of the die and IHS. Once again, x299 platforms as reference, theyer much bigger cpus in surface area. EPYC CPUs, threadrippers, theyre all bigger, more cores, more heat. Youll be fineee

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Are you referring to rad size or the CPU block?

Rad size: Itll be fine - An RTX 3080 pumping 350watts of heat can be cooled with a 240mm just fine. 12900k by comparison hits a peak 250watt on 100% load, albeit the charateristics of the processor is different. Itll be fine. Heck even look at the X299 platforms, Intel 10980xes are cooled by similar sized rads

CPU Block wise: Provided you got the Z690 mounting hardware, it should be okay. The support list is widening for current model coolers. The size of the block is greater than the size of the die and IHS. Once again, x299 platforms as reference, theyer much bigger cpus in surface area. EPYC CPUs, threadrippers, theyre all bigger, more cores, more heat. Youll be fineee
What if i were to overclock it from moderately to high? Would the cooler be able to handle all the heat?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
What if i were to overclock it from moderately to high? Would the cooler be able to handle all the heat?
Entirely dependent on your OC target, silicone lottery, voltage etc... Generally speaking, itll be fine, from what ive seen your average 12900k gets 200mhz on P core and 300-400 on E core cooled on an 240mm AIO. Both E core and P core share the same voltage, so if youre planning on Ocing both, the heat output will be on the upper end of average.

MOJANG

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7yWzu9EQY

Leo used an H150i Elite LCD + an open bench and tested thermals under Cinebench R20. Room ambient was 20C[in a chassis, the ambient will be higher.].
All is well, until you load up all the cores. Skip to 21:38 if you wish.
Aside from that, it's fine, but I guess you can't test stability without testing all the cores at once, huh?
it seems like a newer cooler, not sure if its still comparable to a h150i pro, heres a link to what i have: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060031-WW

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AIO market is stale. Not much of difference between today's models and ones from about 5 years ago.
What separates most of them - excluding visual accents - is the fans they use, and your ears.

The fans are slightly stronger on the Elite LCD, thanks to the higher static pressure, but they're also up to about 4 times louder at 100% rpm(25 Vs 30.4dBA). That's going to bring that one down a bit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS