Will the i3-3240 run Microsoft Flight Simulator X on max settings?

ozzman1997

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hi, I've owned a very slow PC for oh, about 7 years now...I need to upgrade...VERY soon. (Probably should have upgraded a long time ago but never really considered it.) Anyway I got Flight Sim X when it came out in 2005 or 2006, I don't remember...and ever since then it has run like crap. I'm lucky to get 20 FPS on medium-low settings! And if I go ultra-high, it won't even load a flight for me! It just sends me an error report, as if they think that will make me feel better. :sweat:

The only parts of my PC that don't suck are the power supply, graphics card, case, CD/DVD drive, and hard drive. I need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. First off for a motherboard, I don't want to spend more than $150. I've heard from many that Asus is a great brand so I'll probably look into them. For my processor (the most important part) I'm looking at somewhere between $120 and $160. Now, now, I know you are going to say "Spend an extra 50 bucks go for the i5 K version!!!" but I do NOT want to spend 50 extra dollars on such a CPU. I understand buying a cheaper 2300 or something for $180 but I'm on a budget here! I'm an unemployed 15-year old high school sophomore who has a thin wallet!

So I've been looking at the new Ivy Bridge line and the "shunned" :eek: Bulldozer series. AMD seems to be a lot more easy on the bank while Intel wants you to take out a loan for one of their products. As bad of things I've heard about Bulldozer, they happen to be right at the price point I need.

And then there's the NEW AND IMPROVED IVY BRIDGE I3 everyone's been NOT talking about! FYI, I am considering it...Maybe. For some reason, I just think that hyper-threading is wasted technology when it comes to a processor as cheap as an i3. I mean, why won't Intel just take out HT, pop in 2 more REAL cores, bump the price up a little, and BAM! Who even uses dual-core nowadays? Not me, I'm still left in the dust with a single-core! :pt1cable:

Back to FSX: Well, FSX is one of the most CPU intensive games ever devised for the personal computer. More than BF3, BC2, Skyrim,....WHATEVER. People on forums are always saying "Yeah I have an i7 and I can max out FSX at 100 FPS! So SUCK IT!!!" :kaola: Of course I would kill to have that kind of performance (OK maybe not kill a person, how about a carrot or something?) I just want to have good FPS on medium/high settings and not have any lag. NOTE: DO NOT LOOK UP FSX SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AFTER READING THIS! (which has probably taken you a while, sorry.) THOSE REQUIREMENTS ARE TOTALLY WRONG, THAT'S WHY MY DAD BUILT A PC AS WEAK AS MINE!!! Heck, Black Ops won't even start up on my system. :cry:

Anyway, thanks for reading this extensive article that I'm sure you are regretting right now because you could have cooked up a nice Hot Pocket and had a late-night snack in the time it took to read this.

By the way, any suggestions?

Solution
GT430 is not a gaming card FSX is yes CPU bound heavily but that doesnt mean you can use a GPU you find in an electronics recycling centre bin. If we magically found you an i7 on your budget that 430 would still hobble you.

Your budget is confusing too stating a total that you can go to would be better.

Spending $150 on a motherboard to drop an i3 in is ridiculous. Your total posted for CPU and Mobo is $310 for that you should buy a cheaper not so featured motherboard and then a good CPU. Why buy a featured mobo great for overclocking at $150 to then shove a low end CPU that cant be clocked anyway in it?

GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard...

ozzman1997

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Well, not this game. ;) Do you have any idea of how many scenery objects, AI aircraft, AI road traffic, weather systems, aircraft systems, physics, and hundreds of miles of High-Res ground textures the CPU has to pump out? And please, don't even get me started on multiplayer. Even if I did upgrade from my GT 430, the CPU would still bottleneck it to a point where a Geforce 210 wouldn't make much difference compared to a GTX 670. My old Geforce 6200 wasn't any noticeably slower than my 430 either. ;) So just getting a new GPU--out of the question. I need a whole new setup.

Sorry if I was harsh, but jeez...FSX doesn't really depend upon GPU power, even though a good one paired with a good CPU could in fact make a world of difference.

Hi :)

Sigh, I should have mentioned I owned computer shops which build gaming machines all the time....

I repeat.. games are ALL about graphics cards... and I know perfectly well what FS X needs...we build machines for it regularly...

You NEED a better card... we used to sell yours for £30 lol....and your full current system specs would help....

All the best Brett :)

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and a copy of Windows 7 64-bit"

Tl;DR version is quoted

Anywho, asus is a good choice for motherboards. I have no clue if Trinity's cpu will support FSX but it would do better than bulldozer apparently. (Unless you have windows 8? Supposed to have os fixes for bulldoser)

Getting a new graphics card might help, but Brett is right full system specs would be beneficial for advise.

Edited yo

Try looking up reviews for the cpu in question. I don't know your cpu so I can't compare it though. 7 years old... Anything would be better.

Any new cpu would be better than any 7 year old cpu, even if it was $1000 in it's time, I believe.

Brett is right. Like him I own a buisiness that build computers for everything from general use to insane gaming. I don't know what CPU you have now but you need a new graphics card. For it's time the GT 430 was very low end it's not a gaming card. Add to that the fact that it two generations old and that really puts a nail in the coffin. You need both a new CPU and a new GPU.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel already sells a chip with HT disabled and four physical cores. It is called the i5.

If you disable HT on an i3-3220, you end up with a Pentium G2120.

The reason why i3 has HT instead of two extra cores is because HT is much cheaper to implement in terms of surface area, transistor count, power budget and overall cost than extra cores. The circuitry is in the Pentiums too, just disabled.

G

I can run FS X with everything set as high as it will go, with extra aircraft traffic, extra scenery packs, various Aerosoft add ons, ground traffic and weather @ 1680x1050

And the specs - Q6600 and an aged GTX295

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
GT430 is not a gaming card FSX is yes CPU bound heavily but that doesnt mean you can use a GPU you find in an electronics recycling centre bin. If we magically found you an i7 on your budget that 430 would still hobble you.

Your budget is confusing too stating a total that you can go to would be better.

Spending $150 on a motherboard to drop an i3 in is ridiculous. Your total posted for CPU and Mobo is $310 for that you should buy a cheaper not so featured motherboard and then a good CPU. Why buy a featured mobo great for overclocking at $150 to then shove a low end CPU that cant be clocked anyway in it?

GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128548

Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505

TOTAL - $304 ..... there's an i5 and all you need in a motherboard for less than your total stated CPU and mobo budget

Then add some RAM

CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233350

Thats an extra $35.99

THEN plead with family/visit forgotten relatives/mow lawn 150 times in a row/wash fathers car ALOT/rob smaller kids etc etc........ and get this

EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130838

There you go follow above instructions and your going to be happily running FSX (or anything) for a while to come.

Solution

burner66

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
i have a dell 660s which I upgraded with an ASUS Radeon R7 240 smff and a 430w PSU which would not fit so it sits outside case. Had a Pentium G2030 and I installed the I3-3240 big difference but fps still sucks, oh well need a bigger case so i can fit a much better graphics card. Hope this helps