[SOLVED] Will the M.2 I'm thinking of getting block any ports?

Feb 18, 2020
I'm looking at getting a Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 for my desktop, and my friends advised me to check the manual for my Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard to check if it would block any ports.

I'm currently running an SSD that I'm booting from, and 2 2TB HDD for storage.

Is anyone able to help me with this?

Solution
Your X570 board supports new Gen 4 m.2 drives (with Matisse CPU) that are much faster than the Kingston gen 3 m.2. you listed. They cost more so that's up to you and I don't know if you have a CPU that supports it. These are the Matisse CPU's-
Matisse
Your X570 board supports new Gen 4 m.2 drives (with Matisse CPU) that are much faster than the Kingston gen 3 m.2. you listed. They cost more so that's up to you and I don't know if you have a CPU that supports it. These are the Matisse CPU's-
Matisse

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 18, 2020
Matisse

I'm currently running a Ryzen 7 3600X,.

Thank you both for the help! So as long as I only have 2 SSDs in it, it should be fine?
The HDD and SSD are all connected via SATA cables.

I'm currently running a Ryzen 7 3600X,.

Thank you both for the help! So as long as I only have 2 SSDs in it, it should be fine?
The HDD and SSD are all connected via SATA cables.
Your board has 8 sata 3 ports as well as the pair of m.2 slots so you'll be fine. Personally I'd use the lower m.2 to keep it away from the video card. Both m.2 NVME slots support windows booting.
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

Matisse

Love your avatar Archaic59!

That is true but when it comes to real world performance there is no need for the 4.0 NVME on the x570 at this time. Games and programs won't load any faster on 4.0 vs 3.0. So keep the 3.0 NVME and get the largest you can afford, 1TB-2TB.

I have a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 and an Inland 3.0 on my x570.

As for what slot to use you need to check the motherboard manual. On the Asus TUF he one closer to the cpu is full 4.0 bandwidth but the one farther from the cpu goes through the SATA chipset. Another reason not to put money into a Gen 4.0 NVME depending on where it's installed.

As someone recently stated the difference between 3.0 and 4.0 is like going from "ludicrous speed to plaid".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM