[SOLVED] Will the new generation of amd processors work with ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard?

May 11, 2020
I was selecting parts to buy for building my first PC when I saw that AMD Ryzen 4th generation processors are going to be coming out soon, so should I future-proof my motherboard or is it already future-proofed?

If needed, this is the parts list:

ALSO, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know as I am very new to this

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $129.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory |-
Storage | Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $67.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card | $493.99 @ Dell
Case | Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | $79.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply | EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply |-
Monitor | Sceptre C248B-144R 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | $179.99
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1124.34
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-12 04:24 EDT-0400 |

Solution
Also as too your parts list, you could switch to an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, save about 15 and buy a little faster RAM, 3200 or 3600 and squeeze out a few extra FPS.

IMHO, 1080p is kinda a dinosaur and I don't love the idea of investing in a new 1080p monitor right now. What is your max budget? What kind of games do you play?

larsv8

Distinguished
Its subjective.

With a B450 you won't be able to upgrade to future processors, but an upgrade from a 3600 to a Zen3 is probably not worth it anyway. And whenever you do decide to upgrade. likely budget zen 4 processors / mobos will be available, which will be just as good as zen 3

I don't like the idea of paying a premium now in order to upgrade in the future, unless you are a latest and greatest tech person who constantly upgrades. If you have the budget to spend more on a better board, why not just spend it on a better processor now? You could upgrade from a 3600 to a 3700x and get better performance now.

With that being said, the B550s haven't been released yet, and if they are basically just replacement level cost to B450s and there is no big cost increase, then yea, Id say do it.

Reactions: Potatodood

larsv8

Distinguished
Also as too your parts list, you could switch to an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, save about 15 and buy a little faster RAM, 3200 or 3600 and squeeze out a few extra FPS.

IMHO, 1080p is kinda a dinosaur and I don't love the idea of investing in a new 1080p monitor right now. What is your max budget? What kind of games do you play?

Reactions: Potatodood
Solution
May 11, 2020

I was going to go for the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max but I chose the ASUS ROG Strix over it because of aesthetics. This is my first build and I want it to perform well and look good.

I like to play shooter games such as COD Warzone, CS:GO etc.. But when I will get this new PC, I will play more graphics requiring games because as of now, I have a trashy laptop,

May 11, 2020
Its subjective.

With a B450 you won't be able to upgrade to future processors, but an upgrade from a 3600 to a Zen3 is probably not worth it anyway. And whenever you do decide to upgrade. likely budget zen 4 processors / mobos will be available, which will be just as good as zen 3

I don't like the idea of paying a premium now in order to upgrade in the future, unless you are a latest and greatest tech person who constantly upgrades. If you have the budget to spend more on a better board, why not just spend it on a better processor now? You could upgrade from a 3600 to a 3700x and get better performance now.

With that being said, the B550s haven't been released yet, and if they are basically just replacement level cost to B450s and there is no big cost increase, then yea, Id say do it.

Alright but can you explain it to me again, I don't really understand. Why would I need to upgrade my processor? Also, new GPUs and CPUs have been announced so do you think I should wait for it?