Question Will the new windows ever come out?

InfinityVive

Great
BANNED
May 23, 2019
So, Microsoft announced that they won`t release any new Windows after Windows 10, They will only release updates for it, But is that real? Because the Revenue Microsoft gets from selling Windows will completely Vanish, Well not completely but it will become so low, Because 80% of Windows revenue is from People upgrading Windows versions like from 7 to 10, And only 20% is from people buying Windows for the first time, And trust me, 80% of Windows revenue to Microsoft is like 12 Billion dollars per year, So why is Microsoft burning it self like that? Lets get back to the main question, When will a new Windows version be released, And will it be released? Is Windows 10 the end of Windows series?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can only move your copy of windows so many times. So might not be next PC but eventually you will have to buy win 10 again, and if you silly enough to buy it from a big OEM, you can't move that copy ever.

And while a lot of current users did upgrade from 7/8, the number that actually know they could move that copy is tiny as most people don't use tech websites. Average Joe just buy a new PC with Win 10 on it, never knowing they can move it.

They may eventually just rename it to windows as thats what most people call it anyway.

Reactions: MTison

InfinityVive

Great
BANNED
May 23, 2019
You can only move your copy of windows so many times. So might not be next PC but eventually you will have to buy win 10 again, and if you silly enough to buy it from a big OEM, you can't move that copy ever.

And while a lot of current users did upgrade from 7/8, the number that actually know they could move that copy is tiny as most people don't use tech websites. Average Joe just buy a new PC with Win 10 on it, never knowing they can move it.

They may eventually just rename it to windows as thats what most people call it anyway.
Hope I will understand that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So, Microsoft announced that they won`t release any new Windows after Windows 10, They will only release updates for it, But is that real? Because the Revenue Microsoft gets from selling Windows will completely Vanish, Well not completely but it will become so low, Because 80% of Windows revenue is from People upgrading Windows versions like from 7 to 10, And only 20% is from people buying Windows for the first time, And trust me, 80% of Windows revenue to Microsoft is like 12 Billion dollars per year, So why is Microsoft burning it self like that? Lets get back to the main question, When will a new Windows version be released, And will it be released? Is Windows 10 the end of Windows series?

So.... are you an Employee in Microsoft's finance department? Because there is no way for you to know any of this. And if you did, you wouldn't be sharing it on a public forum.

Needless to say, I'm sure they know how to make revenue from the products they have and are in their pipeline.

InfinityVive

Great
BANNED
May 23, 2019
So.... are you an Employee in Microsoft's finance department? Because there is no way for you to know any of this. And if you did, you wouldn't be sharing it on a public forum.

Needless to say, I'm sure they know how to make revenue from the products they have and are in their pipeline.
No, My friend works for Microsoft as a programmer, But somehow he knows about Microsoft`s revenue.

Don't forget the licence paid for every new PC sold by the OEM's (Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, etc...). The biggest thing for Microsoft as a company is that it's not just "Windows" or "Windows and Office" but how diverse they've become. Xbox and games are a nice feather in their cap and they continue to have big licencing agreement with Enterprise versions for large corporations or other organizations. What they're most focused on is cloud growth, as their cloud offerings are already a large source of revenue. Windows upgrades were never a particularly large segment for them and they hope to monetize Windows through cloud add-ons and maybe even the Store should that gain more traction.

The majority of people buy new PCs from OEMs and those sales are where Microsoft makes the majority of their Windows money. Not people upgrading. The amount of epople upgrading vs buying new OEM systems is not even comparable. Much like the enthusiasts market is an even smaller part of a small part.

If windows goes subscription, ill go Ubuntu.

Otherwise, i love windows.

I wouldn't expect them to go subscription only, just to offer a subscription-based package built around Windows and some add-ins. IIRC that's what the rumors have them looking into, and considering the large number of Windows 10 licences already in use the logistics of converting them all rules out the possibility of blacklisting huge numbers of people who don't sign up for the new plan. That's to say nothing of the backlash - and lawsuits that would surely follow. Even their corporate lawyers would have a hard time defending the notion they wouldn't be violating their own existing promises. You'll be able to continue using Windows as you like.

They've made a few PR mistakes over the years but they're not that dumb.

This is very wrong, a giant amount of MS revenue is from Office suite sales and subscriptions and other services like Azure and consulting, server products. Where exactly did you see this 80% of their income was Windows upgrades?

You know you can look up the revenue break-down online right? For each quarter form 2018 to fQ1 2019 total Windows OEM, Windows cloud services, XBOX Live and gaming and search advertising was about 10 billion. Server products and Enterprise Services were about 8 billion and Office and cloud services there were also about 9 billion.

So total Windows not just "upgrades" were just over 30%, that includes OEM sales to vendors like Dell. People actually upgrading and paying for new versions of Windows has not been a big part of MS profits for a long time. As pointed out above, going from 7,8 to 10 was free for most users also, so sales there are a bit less than 80% of revenue. Free = 0 cost, 0 x whatever users is 0.

Read for yourself https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=b6420fab-0013-7e03-4697-1aeb32911898

I suspect that Microsoft is making a ton of money by selling the results of all the telemetry that windows 10 has built in to it.
That is one reason why they are so intent on getting all to go to 10.

Telemetry or not logistically it makes sense to have a single OS to support vs 10. With Windows 10 the core is the same throughout all the major updates while supporting 8.1 and 7 is like supporting an additional 2 different OSes. Lower costs for that.

Agreed supporting 1 operating system with updates and technical support makes things simpler for Microsoft, but one size fits all doesnt always work. They need a lightweight linux competitor and a simple to use macos competitor, as well as windows 10.

Windows 10 chugs on brand new netbooks, even ones with quick (relative to a hdd) emmc flash storage. A more lightweight os is needed (linux) to get snappy performance, an OS area that Microsoft doesnt compete in.

Also, to some users Windows 10 is also far more complicated than MacOS. Apple stores also simplify the buying and tech support experience. Microsoft doesnt really compete with an incredably simple to use os. Windows 8 was an attempt at this, but it was forced down the throats of windows 7 users as a desktop os, something it was not. Windows 8 was fine for tablets, not for desktops.

All but one of my personal computers runs a debloated version of windows 10. The one that isnt debloated is a fresh install and i havent yet had the time to debloat it.

Things like Telemetry spyware, default bloatware apps, Windows defender, onedrive, and cortona are all disabled or removed via PowerShell commands or registry changes. The PowerShell commands can be activated by an app with a gui.

Most of these windows "features" are rarily used if ever, and disabling them speeds up the os and lowers idle resource usage significantly.

Last edited: