Will the NH-D15 fit with my tall RAM and case?

heywhatsup

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hey guys, so I just recently ordered a NH-D15 cooler. I have a H440 case. So my ram is a bit tall and I ordered this cooler after everyone told me that there were cutouts that would allow it to fit.

After looking at a few more pictures, I ralized the fan is going to have to be moved up a bit to allow clearance for my RAM. I have two sticks of KHX16C9T3K2 which has a full height of 46.41mm from top to bottom. The D15 had 32mm clearance for the second fan. So adding the difference to the D15 height(165). I end up with 179.41mm while the case has 180mm clearance. So the numbers work but .6mm is extremely small. Should I cancel my order or can this still fit?

Thanks.

Edit: If I should cancel this order, what other options do I have for a quiet cooler with great performance? The tall ram is limiting me quite a bit. I'm going to be overclocking but not a huge amount however silence is key for me which is why I went for the Noctua. Thanks again

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Well, if it says it will clear it then it must. Im sure the case measurement is very conservative and has a good cm to spare.

It might be a really tight fit, can't really say for sure when pushing tolerances that close. A little variation in manufacturing either way could allow for extra room or not. You asked about another cooler that would fit, the cryorig r1 universal will. It has 0 ram conflict due to offset heatpipes and a slim front fan.

The Noctua is 165mm.
Your case supports 180mm coolers, no conflict there.
But I wonder what kind of CPU you're cooling with that beast? Because a regular Intel build (apart from the enthusiast line) and most AMDs don't need a cooler like that.
I think the RAM will be problematic but I don't think the cooler blocks more than 1 RAM slot. But I'm not sure and it also depends on your mainboard as on some boards the ram is closer to the CPU than on others
Cryorig's universal-coolers are made to not interfere with RAM as mentioned above.

heywhatsup

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
So I tried putting in today, didn't fit. Would have been able to close it but the fan would have been pressing firmly on the glass panel.

Talked to a few people and they said it was fine if I took off the heat-spreader for my RAM so I did and all is well now.

The fans are ugly as hell but the performance makes up for it. I currently can't tell if my PC is on :)

Thanks for the replies guys

Edit:

@Isokolon, it's for my 3570k but probably upgrading to a 6700k or another high tier CPU within the next year after seeing what AMD has to offer. I know it's overkill but I'm a silence freak and although my previous NF-F14 with my 212 EVO was pretty quiet, OCing my 3570k by the smallest amount would make the noise level unbearable for me.