Question Will the Noctua NH-D9L work on an HP motherboard?

msaadeh489

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
I specifically have the HP Omen 870-244. I got the NH-D9L because it's a good lower profile cooler that would also help with airflow, instead of the stock cooler. I didn't realize this until buying that a backplate would be needed on the back of the motherboard. I went through the pain of unplugging everything, and when I look at the back of the board, there is already a large backplate attached. This backplate seemed to allow for the stock cooler to screw into the motherboard. In the instructions for the cooler, it said not to remove the motherboard's stock backplate, so I was upset and put everything back together.
But now I started to wonder if that plate was okay to unscrew since it didn't seem like the actual stock baseplate. Am I able to remove this plate in order to put on the Noctua baseplate or would this be harmful to something?

msaadeh489

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
Something that I have run across with proprietary motherboards is them using off standard fan/mounting holes.
so what do you think? could i ruin/damage something if i tried to unscrew the stock backplate to test it out? because I tested from the front side, and the Noctua backplate is aligned correctly, it just doesnt fit because of the existing backplate.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
so what do you think? could i ruin/damage something if i tried to unscrew the stock backplate to test it out? because I tested from the front side, and the Noctua backplate is aligned correctly, it just doesnt fit because of the existing backplate.

I would be very reluctant to tell you "go ahead and try" without a firm disclaimer in place. Sure, it might fit. Sure, it might work if the holes line up. You are doing so against recommendation and with the caveat that it's your money to replace it.

;)

Reactions: Phaaze88