Will the Product ID from back of the laptop work after fresh installation?

SanjibM

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I have a corrupt vista sp1. I want a fresh reinstall.
Now my query is- will my product id which I found the back of the laptop work after this reinstallation???

N.B- 1. I cant do a system restore.
. 2. There is missing of bootmgr. I've done system restore, but that doesn't help.

So just tell me is this going to work that I questioned??

Solution
If you have retail or a disk from the OEM, then per this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions you have all versions except enterprise. Which has been my experience when reinstalling. Entered the key and it installed the correct version.

"Optical media distributed through retail or through OEMs for Windows Vista are identical; Microsoft refers to this as "CD unification." Prior to Windows Vista, versions of the operating system for OEMs and retail were maintained separately.[29][30] All editions of Windows Vista, excluding Enterprise, are stored on the same optical media—a license key for the edition purchased determines which version on the disc is eligible to be installed.[31] To upgrade to a higher edition from...
most laptops have their serial key embedded in the BIOS so installing the exact same version of Vista would automatically register.

if this is not the case, then yes, the existing printed serial will also work on the exact same version of Vista.
if you have any trouble contact manufacturer or Microsoft support and they will usually validate a new serial in these circumstances.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If I remember correctly, the only thing you need to know is whether it is 64 or 32 bit. The sticker should say at the top "Windows Vista Home Edition" or similar and if it doesn't say x64 then it is the 32 bit version.

Do you have a Vista disk?
Also, most Vista computers have a recovery feature where you can reset it to factory, that would be the preferred method.

only if you have one of the latter Vista Re-Install discs or if you have downloaded someone's AIO repackaging.
i still have 2 old Vista install discs, one labeled Vista Home Premium and one labeled Vista Ultimate x64. neither contain any other version but those.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If you have retail or a disk from the OEM, then per this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions you have all versions except enterprise. Which has been my experience when reinstalling. Entered the key and it installed the correct version.

"Optical media distributed through retail or through OEMs for Windows Vista are identical; Microsoft refers to this as "CD unification." Prior to Windows Vista, versions of the operating system for OEMs and retail were maintained separately.[29][30] All editions of Windows Vista, excluding Enterprise, are stored on the same optical media—a license key for the edition purchased determines which version on the disc is eligible to be installed.[31] To upgrade to a higher edition from a lower edition—such as from Home Basic to Ultimate—Microsoft includes a Control Panel applet, Windows Anytime Upgrade, that facilitates an upgrade."

But regardless, the OP should get a disk that is labeled for his version. It is likely Home 32 bit.

Solution

SanjibM

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Yes Now u know.
I just want it back.