Will the RAM work? Will I be able to mix it?

Sep 16, 2018
Hi. I have a HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF and I just bought this RAM:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-Signature-PC3-12800-1600MHz-PSD34G160081/dp/B00AASUPHK?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=tomshardwareuk-3044941229517003259-20
Would it work with my PC? Is it compatible? I'm scared because I heard people are hearing 5 beeps when they turn on their PC after upgrading their RAM on this specific model I have.

I'm also mixing that RAM with my current one I have in my PC (default sticks you get with this PC).
Would mixing RAM like that cause many problems? If there would be BSODs, how often? What other problems can occur?

Please, answer detailed. Don't just say "mixing ram is dangerous". I know that. BTW, I asked for 2 questions, not just about mixing RAM.

Solution
Which exact model? There are two variations. To make a long story short, yes, you may have problems. Specially mixing DIMMS. It's hard to tell without knowing your exact motherboard, but most likely you will have issues running two different DIMMS, different speeds, different timings and voltages. None of which you will be able to change with the HP motherboard.

It's not a great idea to have bought them. I'd suggest returning them.

With all of that said, it's an older system, and you may 'get lucky'. If you have them, put them in and see if the system boots. If it does, great, if it doesn't it will re-affirm it wasn't a great idea to buy them in the first place.

In that circumstance, it would have been best to call HP, ask them what...
Which exact model? There are two variations. To make a long story short, yes, you may have problems. Specially mixing DIMMS. It's hard to tell without knowing your exact motherboard, but most likely you will have issues running two different DIMMS, different speeds, different timings and voltages. None of which you will be able to change with the HP motherboard.

It's not a great idea to have bought them. I'd suggest returning them.

With all of that said, it's an older system, and you may 'get lucky'. If you have them, put them in and see if the system boots. If it does, great, if it doesn't it will re-affirm it wasn't a great idea to buy them in the first place.

In that circumstance, it would have been best to call HP, ask them what upgrades you could make, and they may have suitable DIMMS to offer as an upgrade. That way you can ensure the upgrade works,

Solution
Sep 16, 2018

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, anyways, Happy New Year! The RAM did work and mixing so far has caused no BSOD's,, which is great! I just ordered even more same RAM so I could take out the old HP RAM and have my RAM not mixed. Happy Holidays!

No worries. Many Happy Returns. Glad it worked. If you experience issues with stability or random crashes you know why.