[SOLVED] Will the rtx 3090 be compatible with my mpg z390 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard?

Sep 15, 2019
From what I have been able to gather, it seems that the new graphics card would be compatible with a similar motherboard: mpg z390 gaming plus. My apologies if this is obvious. It also mentioned needing three unused expansion slots, I checked and I only have two unused expansion slots currently however I am assuming that my current gpu (gtx msi 980) is using one of said slots and once removed should provide ample room for the new card.

Solution
Thanks for the quick response! I recently upgraded my cpu actually, I have the intel 19-9900k cpu @3.60 GHz. Do you think this unit will cause bottlenecking?
If you have adequiete cooling grab the tuner app from your mobo vendor and do a one click to 5Ghz so all 8 cores will be 5Ghz but it will use speed shift to adjust your voltages and Mhz and underclock depending on what your doing. If you have a stock cooler don't do this but if you have a pricey 30 dollars or more HSF or a Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua DH-15 or a Hyper 212 Evo then you can put the fans on those for 800rpm and do the one click to 5Ghz depending on what mobo app your using. At that point I would want to know what video card you have now? If you have a 1xxx...

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
The 3 unused slots is just how big the cooler is, it only uses 1 connection. It depends on your PSU's power capabilities, the 3090 requires a minimum of 350W on its own, so as long as you have a fairly beefy (800-1000W) PSU, you should be fine. With a GPU that old, however, you probably have an older/less powerful CPU, which may severely bottleneck the 3090.

Sep 15, 2019
The 3 unused slots is just how big the cooler is, it only uses 1 connection. It depends on your PSU's power capabilities, the 3090 requires a minimum of 350W on its own, so as long as you have a fairly beefy (800-1000W) PSU, you should be fine. With a GPU that old, however, you probably have an older/less powerful CPU, which may severely bottleneck the 3090.
Thanks for the quick response! I recently upgraded my cpu actually, I have the intel 19-9900k cpu @3.60 GHz. Do you think this unit will cause bottlenecking?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
If you have adequiete cooling grab the tuner app from your mobo vendor and do a one click to 5Ghz so all 8 cores will be 5Ghz but it will use speed shift to adjust your voltages and Mhz and underclock depending on what your doing. If you have a stock cooler don't do this but if you have a pricey 30 dollars or more HSF or a Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua DH-15 or a Hyper 212 Evo then you can put the fans on those for 800rpm and do the one click to 5Ghz depending on what mobo app your using. At that point I would want to know what video card you have now? If you have a 1xxx series or below or a AMD 5700XT or below then go for the 3090 however let turbo boost or your mobo app tweak you to 5Ghz because you say 3.6Ghz that is very slow Im sure by default you have turbo boost and speed shift so your probably getting like 4.8Ghz on a core and 4.7Ghz etc by default. That CPU with a 3090 will tear it up depening on what display you have and what resolution you want to play at. 🍩✌🖐😲

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
If you have adequiete cooling grab the tuner app from your mobo vendor and do a one click to 5Ghz so all 8 cores will be 5Ghz but it will use speed shift to adjust your voltages and Mhz and underclock depending on what your doing. If you have a stock cooler don't do this but if you have a pricey 30 dollars or more HSF or a Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua DH-15 or a Hyper 212 Evo then you can put the fans on those for 800rpm and do the one click to 5Ghz depending on what mobo app your using. At that point I would want to know what video card you have now? If you have a 1xxx series or below or a AMD 5700XT or below then go for the 3090 however let turbo boost or your mobo app tweak you to 5Ghz because you say 3.6Ghz that is very slow Im sure by default you have turbo boost and speed shift so your probably getting like 4.8Ghz on a core and 4.7Ghz etc by default. That CPU with a 3090 will tear it up depening on what display you have and what resolution you want to play at. 🍩✌🖐😲
Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS