[SOLVED] will the RTX3090 run on this Power Supply (Enermax Revolution87+ 80 Plus Gold 1000W)?

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Hi all, I have an (Enermax Revolution87+ 80 Plus Gold 1000W). Planning to get and run a RTX3090 GPU soon. Will it be compatible, specifically in terms of the connectors.
The RTX3090 uses a 12 pin connector, which I don't really understand, does this power supply satisfy the 12 pin connector of the RTX3090?

Native Cables:
1 x 24pin Main Connector
1 x 8pin CPU
1 x 4+4pin CPU
2 x 6+2pin PCI-E

Modular Cables:
2 x (2 x 6+2pin PCI-E)
2 x (4 x SATA)
1 x (4 x 4pin Molex + 1 x FDD)
2 x (2 x SATA + 2 x 4pin Molex)

you can see full description on this link: https://www.newegg.com/enermax-erv1000ewt-g-1000w/p/N82E16817194101

Solution
I have more of a concern that this is a 9 plus year old power supply, as it was introduced in 2012 ( https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ax-revolution-87-1000w-power-supply-review/7/ ). It has good performance back then but I'm not sure I would trust that to power a very power hungry EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra on that old of a PSU.

As for the 12v Rails, I think you will be fine using the two non-modular 6+2 pin PCIe cables and one modular 6+2 pin PCIe cable. It is more the age of the power supply has me concerned, as they do degrade overtime.

tecmo34

Administrator
I have more of a concern that this is a 9 plus year old power supply, as it was introduced in 2012 ( https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ax-revolution-87-1000w-power-supply-review/7/ ). It has good performance back then but I'm not sure I would trust that to power a very power hungry EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra on that old of a PSU.

As for the 12v Rails, I think you will be fine using the two non-modular 6+2 pin PCIe cables and one modular 6+2 pin PCIe cable. It is more the age of the power supply has me concerned, as they do degrade overtime.

Solution

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
I'm not worried about its age .. first because I haven't been using it for 9 years, it's been used for ONLY 6 month with I bought it brand new. Also I had the RTX 2080 ti running on it flawlessly. What I'm concerned with now are the connectors. So, when you say, "using the two non-modular 6+2 pin PCIe cables and one modular 6+2 pin PCIe cable" how can I connect that ONE MORE modular 6+2 pin PCIe cable (If I can't directly get it out from the Power Supply) Do I connect it trough the other (2) 6+2 pins to make a 3rd one?

tecmo34

Administrator
AFH7S200826lfD4u.jpg

Your PSU should have standalone cables that came with it. You plug in a 6+2 pin PCIe express cable into the red open ports on the PSU then connect it to the graphics card. The black cables coming out of the PSU, should include the two 6+2 pin PCIe cables based on what I've read.

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Right!! "The black cables coming out of the PSU, should include the two 6+2 pin PCIe" that's correct.
"Your PSU should have standalone cables that came with it." unfortunatley, my PC was built by CyberPowerPC and they didn't send me the extra wires that should be coming with it. So, in that case I should purchase a 6+2 pin PCIe express cable plug in into the red port and connect to the GPU. Any suggestions of a good one I should purchase? I looks like that RED port the 12 pins, so what is it, do I need 12pin to 6 pin?

Last edited:
First off, you need to ask CyberPowerPC to send you the missing cables or check if you have them since it's unusual for a prebuild to not have any additional cables that came with the PSU.

Secondly the PSU cables are NOT universal. Meaning that if you do need to buy them, you would need for the SPECIFIC model and brand and not from any other brand. You need a 6+2 pin ending which usually comes in with 2x 6+2 ends.

Thirdly and most important. That PSU even if it is new, it was made with what GPUs and system required back then and not what it exists right now. The 3090 is a GPU notorious of it's high power draw and with huge power spikes that can and has trip newer and far better PSUs that yours. The fact that it used to power a2080Ti means almost nothing.

If I may also add, if you have the money for a 3090 then you can certainly afford a newer, better and more reliable PSU. I would not trust a 3090 with anything less than Tier A from this list:

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Ok,, I'll take your word. Those are the ones I can afford now from the list you sent. Would you go over them and tell me which is best? or just to make sure I picked the right ones?
be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W, BN620, Fully Modular, 80 Plus Gold, Power Supply (MULTI RAIL)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular (SINGLE RAIL)
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum Full-Modular (SINGLE RAIL)
Seasonic - FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Full-Modular (SINGLE RAIL)
Notice 1st one is MULTI RAIL, the other 3 are SINGLE RAIL. Does that make a difference. Will I be OK with the SINGLE RAIL ones?
Please check those power supplies I picked and let me know which is best, or are they all good?

Last edited:
From the 4 you linked, the Be quiet! Straight power and the Seasonic PX are the best. For the Seasonic make sure you get one made after 2018. I would get the Seasonic PX as is also platinum efficiency.
The 4th PSU (Seasonic gx) is a tier B by the way.

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Cool, Seasonic it is .. Where and how I'm gonna be able to tell if it was after 2018. Check the link I posted for that Seasonic PX please. It's on Newegg, under additional info it says: Date First Available August 04, 2017 .. so no good?! unbelievable!

g-unit1111

Titan
Don't get your statement // so ur saying because it's from 2017 it's no good !! WOW .. what about the be quite! on amazon it says "May 7, 2018 "

The newer platform is always going to be the better choice as it's designed with newer hardware in mind. Sure you could run newer hardware on older PSUs but it's always a gamble as to how they will actually perform in real world usage.

What you really need to look out for when choosing a PSU is the quality of the capacitors and underlying components. The efficiency rating is not always a guarantee of quality. Check out the expert reviews (sites like Tom's, Tech Powerup, Johnny Guru, Tweak Town, Anandtech, Guru3D, etc) and if they tear down a PSU and show the components underneath the exterior. If they say it's a good PSU then it's a good PSU.

Last edited: