[SOLVED] Will the rx 5700 xt handle the latest games at 1080p 144hz?

Optiplex4G

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
I was thinking about going with either the 2060 super or the rx 5700 xt, but am currently leaning in the direction of the 5700 because the monitor I'm considering supports freesync: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD7H18F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 So I guess my main question is the 5700 worth buying? I've only ever owned Nvidia cards so I'm not too experienced with the AMD side of things, or would it make sense to wait until the Nvidia 30x series and AMD's new offerings are released? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Yes you can achieve those frame rates. But that is all dependent on the game and its settings and the cpu Even the most powerful of cards can be brought to their knees with flight sim 2020 at 1080p

The entire point of having a 144Hz freesync monitor is so that you can enjoy games like cs:go or rocket league or tomb raider and either max out or start adapting the refresh rate. You dont have to worry about it. Just make sure the monitor can go down to 57 fps and you should be good.
Yes you can achieve those frame rates. But that is all dependent on the game and its settings and the cpu Even the most powerful of cards can be brought to their knees with flight sim 2020 at 1080p

The entire point of having a 144Hz freesync monitor is so that you can enjoy games like cs:go or rocket league or tomb raider and either max out or start adapting the refresh rate. You dont have to worry about it. Just make sure the monitor can go down to 57 fps and you should be good.

Solution

Optiplex4G

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017

I probably won't be playing flight sim 2020, I was thinking more along the lines of Crysis remastered, the Mafia remake, and RDR2. With that being said why would I want to lower the refresh rate on my monitor?

I probably won't be playing flight sim 2020, I was thinking more along the lines of Crysis remastered, the Mafia remake, and RDR2. With that being said why would I want to lower the refresh rate on my monitor?

57 fps is the lower rate of the range you should use with a 144Hz freesync. 144/2.5. what ever the monitors refresh rate is, divide it by 2.5. this should be its lower floor frame rate. This helps the gpu produce smoother framerates if it hits a complex scene. A gpu can control the variances in frame time better if there is a larger refresh rate window.

For example a monitor that is 30 to 75 would be good. (30*2.5 = 75). But a monitor that is 40 to 80hz would not as smooth. Its a spec that is rarely talked about. But one you should look for.

TRENDING THREADS