[SOLVED] will the rx580 work with the psu ?

Apr 1, 2020
Hi

I've decided to upgrade my old pc's gtx460 (2x6pin) with an rx580 (1x8pin) and i'm not sure if my psu can handle the new card. The psu is a Rasurbo Silent&Power 650W DLP-65.1.

Other specs: Motherboard ASRock h55m pro
Processor intel i5-750 2.66ghz.

I'm not sure about the power connectors either as i have a 2pin hanging around one of the 6pins but they both might be from an adapter(not so sure because the cable management is a mess) not from the psu itself. Is it safe to connect the 2+6pin to the new gpu ?

The pc was built around a decade ago but it was used for 3-5 years until now. At first i wanted to build a completely new one but it seems with an OC to the gpu an ssd and more+new ram it handles games pretty well so with an rx580 the games i want to play should run smoothly.

I'm aware that the i5 might bottleneck the gpu but even with a bottleneck i'll get enough performance. So another question: is it safe to run a bottlenecked pc daily ?

Apr 1, 2020
Think this is your psu, it has 6+2 pcie. Version one has only a 6pin so must be v2. 20amps on the rail, Rx580 needs 19.

https://www.quietpc.com/ras-dlp-1

All good on the power front but being a legacy bios board, the Rx580 might not show a display.

oh.. that seems like a red flag. Nothing i can do about that right ? Only to hope that i'll get lucky and it'll work.

What about the bottleneck ? Will it damage the proc mobo or gpu ?

edit: already ordered the gpu btw

Apr 1, 2020
Won't damage anything but a bottleneck there will be.

Update bios to the latest for best chances and perhaps consider Nvidia as they are more forgiving with legacy bios. Maybe GTX1060?

I'll try the update and the RX580 as it should arrive by tomorrow and in case it won't work i'll send it back and try my luck with a GTX1060.

Thank you !