[SOLVED] Will the Samsung Data Migration mess up the directory?

Ericsven

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Hello,

I have 1x 120GB SSD, 1x 256GB HDD and 1x 1TB HDD. I just got the Samsung 860 Evo 500GB and am planning on using the Samsung Data Migration to clone the 128 SSD (where the os is), which is the only one i want to clone. But I have a few problems sorta.

1-
I only have 3 SATA cables. i know that i had extra SATA cables, but i cant find them and ive been looking all day. So im thinking of plugging out my 256 GB HDD and use that SATA cable for the new ssd. All that's on that hard drive is various editing programs, folders with videos, the app "Cold Turkey", and a few other picture folders. So, will i be able to just unplug that hdd and use that sata cable just for the cloning?

2-
I only want to clone my SSD, not the 1tb HDD. But if the cloning is successful, will the directory for the programs on my hdd mess up because its a new ssd or will the settings not change and name everything the same? Whats on my 1tb hdd is games (which i some will be reinstalling to ssd), vr programs and office.

Solution
1 - Yes
2 - No. When the clone is done be sure to remove the 120 and put the Evo in it's place, reconnect the HDD and then boot up. You should be fine.
There is a possibility that the boot record was actually written to that HDD. If you find you can't boot with the 256 disconnected then power off and use the 1tB 's Sata cable instead.

As always, disconnect the power (by switch or pull the plug) before you go messing around inside the pc. PC's aren't really off just because you shut it down in Windows.

popatim

Titan
1 - Yes
2 - No. When the clone is done be sure to remove the 120 and put the Evo in it's place, reconnect the HDD and then boot up. You should be fine.
There is a possibility that the boot record was actually written to that HDD. If you find you can't boot with the 256 disconnected then power off and use the 1tB 's Sata cable instead.

As always, disconnect the power (by switch or pull the plug) before you go messing around inside the pc. PC's aren't really off just because you shut it down in Windows.

Solution