[SOLVED] Will the ssd break the new laptop?

Simpan31

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
Hi

Recently i downgraded to a wrong version and bios on my laptop which resulted in it getting bricked. I took it to the Repair shop and they said it would cost me 800 $ for a new motherboard to repair it so i bought another laptop instead. My question is if i put my ssd in this new laptop will it be bricked too? I mean if the wrong bios is on the ssd?

Solution
BIOS chip is located on motherboard. It is not in the SSD.
But I'd advise you against moving OS drive between different computers. For that to work properly, hardware has to be identical.
You'll get several possible issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
drivers incompatibilities - bad performance, bsods and crashes,​
windows activation issues.​

Bios chip looks like this:

bios-chips-close-up-macro-motherboard-computer-firmware-electronic-device-gadget-bios-chips-close-up-170227442.jpg
BIOS chip is located on motherboard. It is not in the SSD.
But I'd advise you against moving OS drive between different computers. For that to work properly, hardware has to be identical.
You'll get several possible issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
drivers incompatibilities - bad performance, bsods and crashes,​
windows activation issues.​

Bios chip looks like this:

bios-chips-close-up-macro-motherboard-computer-firmware-electronic-device-gadget-bios-chips-close-up-170227442.jpg

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hi

Recently i downgraded to a wrong version and bios on my laptop which resulted in it getting bricked. I took it to the Repair shop and they said it would cost me 800 $ for a new motherboard to repair it so i bought another laptop instead. My question is if i put my ssd in this new laptop will it be bricked too? I mean if the wrong bios is on the ssd?
The BIOS has little or nothing to do with te OS and SSD.

However....
"My question is if i put my ssd in this new laptop will it be bricked too?"

This is unlikely to work.
A Windows OS is not modular, to be moved between systems.

Solution - Simply install the applications you use on the new laptop.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
If SSD is functional, you can put it into new laptop. Only reinstall Windows on it and you'll be fine.

Talking about BIOS in previous motherboard - ask around, maybe you will find somebody who is able to reflash it for sane amount of money.

Simpan31

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
If SSD is functional, you can put it into new laptop. Only reinstall Windows on it and you'll be fine.

Talking about BIOS in previous motherboard - ask around, maybe you will find somebody who is able to reflash it for sane amount of money.
Ok so the bios has nothing to do with the ssd?

Putting your SSD in your new laptop will not brick the laptop. The bios is stored on a chip on the motherboard. Your existing Windows installation may or may not work on your new system though. If the hardware is similar you might get away with it. I'd recommend getting your important files off the SSD though and then reinstalling Windows.

Can I ask what laptop you had previously?

Simpan31

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
Putting your SSD in your new laptop will not brick the laptop. The bios is stored on a chip on the motherboard. Your existing Windows installation may or may not work on your new system though. If the hardware is similar you might get away with it. I'd recommend getting your important files off the SSD though and then reinstalling Windows.

Can I ask what laptop you had previously?
Lenovo legion y540