Will the UPS maximum output wattage going to limit my PSU?

Kauf771

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hi!

I want to build a new rig that will have an average power consumption of 650-700 W, equipped with a Corsair AX1200i PSU (that will give me plenty of room for future upgrades). To prevent future electrical problems and some data loss, I know that an UPS becomes a must, but here is where I have my doubts and would appreciate some help.
Knowing that the PSU maximum output will be 1200W, if the current is 'filtered' by an UPS, let's say, of 400W maximum output, then the PSU output wattage will be limited by the UPS maximum output capability, thus becoming also 400W. So, if in the future I wanted to do some upgrades, my AX1220i would value the same as having only a cheaper 400W PSU... Am I understanding this right, and if yes, are there exceptions according to the UPS type? Or is the UPS power output not limited, but instead only a reference value between energy consumption and available time before blackout?
And what other viable solutions exist to prevent my system from brownouts and spikes, without having to pay a fortune?
What do you think about APC Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator versus the Line-R 600VA?

Every contribution will be much appreciated. Thanks everybody in advance!

The Corsair AX1200i at 100% Load would be drawing 1324 Watts from its AC plug.

If your UPS is unable to provide this power demand then the UPS becomes the limiting factor.

You would need something like a 3000VA UPS if you want to handle the PSU's maximum power draw although no one runs their PSU at 100% load because it shortens its service life.

AVR's are useless when there is a power loss because they don't provide any backup power. They are used to filter out voltage spikes and sags on the AC power line only.

Kauf771

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Thank you guys for the help, I'm a bit more enlightened now!
I know that AVR's are useless when there is a power loss, but the reason I asked was because as the UPS's price is very hight, maybe opting for an AVR would (in my precise case) save me some money... Where I leave, blackouts are very very rare (I just remember one in the past 5 years), but at the same time, electrical instability is very hight (I've been having problems with low voltage ceiling lights and others). But after your explanation, considering that the UPS acquisition will last for years to come (with the necessary battery maintenance), and that I may have to move (or may not) my work place to somewhere else, I decided to invest in an UPS.
I looked at Tripp Lite's SMX2200XLRT2U, SUINT2200RTXL2UA, SUINT1500RTXL2UA (more restrictive, if some colleagues decide to appear with their rigs to work by my side), and to APC's Smart-UPS 2200VA. Taking all in account, I think I will go with the APC (lowest price I got, and here in the forums, APC seems very reliable).