[SOLVED] Will the VS 550 power supply (by corsair) be able to handle these components ?

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
CPU : ryzen 7 2700x
GPU : 2060 super (founders edition)

And if not , could you recommend a upgrade that would be the most minimum change so I don't need to spend a lot of money on a new psu

Solution
D
I would not use the VS series. Get a CX 550 2017 (not modular) at least.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Yeah but are power spikes that likely ? I mean obviously it's better safe than sorry but
TDP is not an accurate measurement of the actual power draw of the component, for example the i7-8700's TDP is 65W yet reaches 126W under full load. Power spikes are likely. However, 650W over 550W is a personal preference turned recommendation, you can go with the 550W if you want. Doubt you'll have any issues. Just wanted to give some power draw headroom.

Reactions: OrdJk

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
TDP is not an accurate measurement of the actual power draw of the component, for example the i7-8700's TDP is 65W yet reaches 126W under full load. Power spikes are likely. However, 650W over 550W is a personal preference turned recommendation, you can go with the 550W if you want. Doubt you'll have any issues. Just wanted to give some power draw headroom.
Okay I guess I will go with the 650 watt one then , thanks for the help !

VS series is known to be faulty. The original CX series wasn't that good either, but the 2017 CX is decent. Getting a CX 550 2017 is probably the most "minimum change" you can do right now.

"Known to be faulty"?

Like, they have a well know point of failure? LOL!

But I do agree that with that graphics card, you should use at least the CX (non-M) or TX-M.

Never saw any favorable reviews regarding the VS series. Better not bother with it.

Well, I don't believe there are any professional reviews of the VS anywhere.

And end user reviews represent about < 1% of the actual buying population.

So to say they're "known to be faulty" is pretty dramatic.

They are not "known to be faulty". They just use an older topology that is not good at supporting high end graphics cards like OP's.

But I digress... if you're going to buy a $400 graphics card, why power it with Corsair's cheapest PSU? That's like putting four donut spares on a Vette.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019

And end user reviews represent about < 1% of the actual buying population.

So to say they're "known to be faulty" is pretty dramatic.

They are not "known to be faulty". They just use an older topology that is not good at supporting high end graphics cards like OP's.

But I digress... if you're going to buy a $400 graphics card, why power it with Corsair's cheapest PSU? That's like putting four donut spares on a Vette.
Makes sense , thanks for your comment !

The vs are alright units, as long as you consider that they will mostly be used for systems with integrated graphics/apu's or maybe low power gpu's.

Considering the amount the op has spent on components, £75 for a cx650 is very close to the cost of the venerable rm550x. even though the rmx is lower wattage, it is a VERY good unit and for 10 more pounds, is hard to resist.
There is also the seasonic core series as well at £76, I have not found a review for them yet, but I'm willing to bet it's a good unit just with less connections.
The system would draw, at most, 400w on the 12v rail, closer to 360.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
The vs are alright units, as long as you consider that they will mostly be used for systems with integrated graphics/apu's or maybe low power gpu's.

Considering the amount the op has spent on components, £75 for a cx650 is very close to the cost of the venerable rm550x. even though the rmx is lower wattage, it is a VERY good unit and for 10 more pounds, is hard to resist.
There is also the seasonic core series as well at £76, I have not found a review for them yet, but I'm willing to bet it's a good unit just with less connections.
The system would draw, at most, 400w on the 12v rail, closer to 360.
Thanks !

Why are there no mentions of whether the VS is the gray or the orange one? They are very different platforms, so I think discussions must start there. The former is much better than the other. Neither are good choices for a gaming system, though.

Umm, this one?

550 is enough, let's say, but a 650W would give you more headroom in case of power spikes from the components.
Not really. A 2060 and a Ryzen 7 will be fine with a 550W despite the power spikes. Though very tight, a 550 W w/ DC-DC is fine for even a 10900K and a 2080 Ti.

Why are there no mentions of whether the VS is the gray or the orange one? They are very different platforms, so I think discussions must start there. The former is much better than the other. Neither are good choices for a gaming system, though.

The world is out of power supplies. Unless OP was buying it used, it would be the gray label. :D

Oh, thanks!

I was actually looking for that one, but couldn't find it.

Yeah... I don't see anywhere that says it is "faulty". I do agree with all of the "cons".

Something that is "known to be faulty" would be a Takata airbag or a 1971 Ford Pinto.

The world is out of power supplies. Unless OP was buying it used, it would be the gray label. :D

Oh, maybe the "world" doesn't include Indonesia :p. They sadly still sell these here. I know, it's not funny.

Yeah... I don't see anywhere that says it is "faulty". I do agree with all of the "cons".

Something that is "known to be faulty" would be a Takata airbag or a 1971 Ford Pinto.
True, people are sometimes too lenient, but sometimes too harsh.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
I do have the orange label one , I think I bought it back in like 2016 or something but would that be fine ?
Because with my current RX 580 and ryzen 7 2700x it has worked fine for like 5 years without breaking

I mean I could just buy the new grey label one which seems to be around £40 so It's quite a cheap option

In addition I realised that the RX 580 has a tdp of 185 watts and the rtx 2060 super has a tdp of 175 watts so if maths is a thing then the rtx 2060 super consumes 10 less watts so my psu should work just fine right ?

Last edited:
In addition I realised that the RX 580 has a tdp of 185 watts and the rtx 2060 super has a tdp of 175 watts so if maths is a thing then the rtx 2060 super consumes 10 less watts so my psu should work just fine right ?
I feel like you've missed the point after all of the discussions, no, you should not use a vs unit with a gpu other then entry level options.
If you're old orange label vs unit dies and takes your £400 gpu with it, was it worth the cost savings? The watts aren't the issue, the overall quality of the unit in regards to ripple suppression, inrush current, transient load, etc.
The corsair cx(grey label) is the minimum acceptable unit. You can go for 550w, but you can't overclock or get a higher tdp card in the future.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
ts aren't the issue, the overall
I feel like you've missed the point after all of the discussions, no, you should not use a vs unit with a gpu other then entry level options.
If you're old orange label vs unit dies and takes your £400 gpu with it, was it worth the cost savings? The watts aren't the issue, the overall quality of the unit in regards to ripple suppression, inrush current, transient load, etc.
The corsair cx(grey label) is the minimum acceptable unit. You can go for 550w, but you can't overclock or get a higher tdp card in the future.
Sorry yeah , I did miss the point
So cx 550 PSU it is

TRENDING THREADS