Will the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade be free forever? Also, can you pick what version you download?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DahMainahGaimah

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
I have two questions:

I am greatly considering the free upgrade to Windows 10, but knowing Microsoft, it feels like they'll pull a quick one and make us pay up at some later date. Has anyone ever confirmed if the upgrade is free forever?

Also, I would like to have Windows 10 Professional, as it suits my needs best. Can you choose which version, or are you stuck with Home?

Solution

legion_of_cheese

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
First: forget about it if you have a pirated version of windows [you will get the "not genuine" warnings]. Secondly, if you have a legit license it's all true mate. Except for the versions, I think the version is the one you have currently on your windows 7/8/8.1

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Actually, that's no longer true. If you signed up for the Preview Microsoft will allow you to keep it activated but you have to remain as a tester. So yes, you can get Windows 10 for free even if you don't have Windows 7 - 8.1.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/22/windows-10-licensing-explained-beta/#comments

DahMainahGaimah

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Alright, fantastic! Since I have a legit version of Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), it should all be fine. Unless if I have to provide a serial number or something... I really hope I don't, 'cos I have a custom built because my house is lined with carpet. Actually, another question... I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, what should I do here? Should I just delete Ubuntu? I don't want any MBR issues.

The update is free"For the supported lifetime of the device" Which at the least according to Microsoft's internal support policy means 5 years.
Who knows what Microsoft will do but I strongly suspect to see updates adding functionality being sold as optional packs after that period if not before.
If you have Home your upgrade will be to Home. In fact the 2 W7 versions below Home will get Home as well.
I feel a little cheated, well I would if I was going to upgrade as I have Home premium yet users with lesser versions are getting the same as me ??

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

How can you feel cheated.. Home users will get receiving the same level as they currently have.. Your comment does not make any sense. As for Windows 7 Starter... that has NOTHING to do with you and you should be happy MS will be giving them a more capable version.. No love for your fellow users?

Its my opinion of the situation. Like I said I Would IF I was going to upgrade.
I am entitled to my opinion so wind your neck in troll

I don't believe I even mentioned begrudging the other users the more capable version did I ?
no didn't think so.

G

ok childeren lets not argue over who gets what. HA HA.

i am just glad to finally get something free from microsoft. i have windows 7 pro 64 bit so my upgrade will be windows 10 pro 64 bit. even if they was only to give me windows 10 home 64 bit i would still be happy. windows home has always worked and for me windows pro never offered anything that i didn't already have in windows home versions. just my opinion.

the poorguy

Yes you are right, of course.
I just don't like it when people try and call me on things that I didn't actually say.

Daedaly

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015

I'll explain this in layman's terms.

Windows 7 Home---->Windows 10 Home
Windows 8.1 Home---->Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise----->Windows 10 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro------->Windows 10 Pro

And the final answer,

MICROSOFT WILL NEVER CHARGE YOU FOR AN UPDATE AS WHEN YOU UPGRADE IT'S FREE FOREVER IN YOUR HANDS TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT.
Hope I helped slightly.

No its not free for ever, its free for the supported lifetime of the device and I have already explained that for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS