Question Will there be a MB with a 2nd PCIe slot 16 lane 4x4x4x4

Nov 2, 2022
I would prefer an Intel version of this and I understand that it probably does not exist yet. I just wanted to know if anything might be headed that way.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i am not sure what you are asking here. what do you mean by x4x4x4x4?? if it is a 16 lane slot, then it has 16 lanes. not sure how you think it can be divided up within a single slot??

perhaps some more info on what you hope to do and why would help us understand what you are asking.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would prefer an Intel version of this and I understand that it probably does not exist yet. I just wanted to know if anything might be headed that way.
most of the boards will not have 2X 16 slots because the processors can't do it anyhow they have 20 PCI-E lanes. So 2X16X lanes would require a 32 lane processor that is not made.

Now since your not clear with the question you can run a 4 X 4X that would be 16 lanes leaving 4 more for a gen 3 or 4 X4 M.2 drive all running off the CPU. Or 8X8X. Again no mainstream boards for like LGA 1700 using 4 slots.

Some of the workstation boards can do this.
Example LGA2066 board that will do 4X xfire.

Nov 2, 2022
most of the boards will not have 2X 16 slots because the processors can't do it anyhow they have 20 PCI-E lanes. So 2X16X lanes would require a 32 lane processor that is not made.

Now since your not clear with the question you can run a 4 X 4X that would be 16 lanes leaving 4 more for a gen 3 or 4 X4 M.2 drive all running off the CPU. Or 8X8X. Again no mainstream boards for like LGA 1700 using 4 slots.

Some of the workstation boards can do this.
Example LGA2066 board that will do 4X xfire.
So what I'm trying to do is an NVME M.2 RAID using a quad card. I have the Card and the M.2's however I don't want to invest in a new motherboard without being sure that it has the capability to do this. I Would be Looking at the 13900K CPU but I'm not sure if the P and E cores will work with a raid setup like that, so another thing I'm not sure of. If you're going to ask why I need this, well I just would like to see if I could an make it work, so yea, I'm one of those guys

Nov 2, 2022
WHY?
(yes, I asked, and yes that is shouting)

What type of RAID array, for what use case?
raid 10 1st preference raid 0 2nd preference. I would like to be able to boot OS from that drive. I understand your emphatic "WHY", so to that end it would be mostly overclocking. Currently I'm using aorus z590 xtreme with an 11900k and a Gigabyte 3080 ti graphics card. So I Would be looking at an upgrade but I don't want to loose any performance

USAFRet

Titan
raid 10 1st preference raid 0 2nd preference. I would like to be able to boot OS from that drive. I understand your emphatic "WHY", so to that end it would be mostly overclocking. Currently I'm using aorus z590 xtreme with an 11900k and a Gigabyte 3080 ti graphics card. So I Would be looking at an upgrade but I don't want to loose any performance
RAID 0 + SSD often does lose performance.

The RAID overhead and normal use (the boot drive) does not lend itself to what a RAID 0 or 10 does.

While you may see awesome benchmark numbers, actual user facing performance may indeed be slower.

Nov 2, 2022
RAID 0 + SSD often does lose performance.

The RAID overhead and normal use (the boot drive) does not lend itself to what a RAID 0 or 10 does.

While you may see awesome benchmark numbers, actual user facing performance may indeed be slower.
Well I don't think an Intel version of what I want exists yet anyway but since the 13900K I thought it might be an interesting pursuit if for nothing else just to see if it could be done and function reliably.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
For what it's worth it takes a while but eventually someone makes a VERY expensive mobo with the extra x16 slot. As noted above it takes an extra chip and design to make it happen. Don't see it much anymore with sli dead but someone will see the $ signs and offer one to folks like you in the future. :)

It's a ton of expense n effort for no real world gains but that rarely stops someone determined to waste a lot of money........

Reactions: Corwin65
So what I'm trying to do is an NVME M.2 RAID using a quad card. I have the Card and the M.2's
I'm using aorus z590 xtreme with an 11900k and a Gigabyte 3080 ti graphics card.
Easy.
Install your x16 M.2 adapter card in first PCIE x16 slot with full x16 connectivity.
Leave second x16 slot empty or else top slot switches into x8 mode.

Install graphics card in 3rd PCIE x16 slot (x4 connectivity).

Jun 27, 2023
If you don't mind embedded systems, the X11SDV has a secondary x16 slot that supports x4x4x4x4 bifurcation (ex. X11SDV-8C-TP8F ) but unless you have 1-2k burning a hole in your wallet another (although not exact) solution would be the SuperMicro X11SPH-nCTF motherboard, specifically states in the manual it can run x4x4x4x4, albeit only in the top slot since its the only x16 slot. If you wanted to build on the x11, sth forum says that it runs at ~60w idle. A compatible CPU, specifically the Intel Xeon Silver 4114 would run you around 20$... totaling the price to around $700 if you wait for a good eBay deal. Not really that power efficient as a homelab but x4x4x4x4 is surprisingly hard to find

TRENDING THREADS