[SOLVED] Will there be a severe bottleneck with a GTX 1660 Super and a i5-3570?

May 17, 2020
I'm getting a GTX 1660 Super soon and I currently have a i5-3570. Would there be a severe bottleneck for example constant frame drops between these two components or would the gameplay be smooth throughout?

Solution
You are above the minimum for all of those games, so that should all be relatively playable. A bit close on the CPU for Nier and Farcry, but not terrible.

1660 Super is more than enough for those games, so max settings should work. Some settings require a little more CPU than others, but not too much. Mostly the CPU is used to run the game's logic and engine.

Can pick up a i7-3770k for under $100, though not really worth it at this point. Might as well save up for a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. These days that might be under $200.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It will operate as fast as your CPU will allow, given the settings and game title.

If you are after a very high frame rate, this won't work so well, but if you are after extreme image quality most of that burden would fall to the GPU. So high resolutions and high settings that were out of reach before may be possible.

Another way to look at it is that you can get it to go as fast as possible now, and then upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM later. Or spend a little less on the GPU now and look at getting an entry level Ryzen, like a 3300X, with future upgrades in mind. A lot easier to sell recent model CPUs.

Can't really say more without more details about what you are trying to run.

May 17, 2020
It will operate as fast as your CPU will allow, given the settings and game title.

If you are after a very high frame rate, this won't work so well, but if you are after extreme image quality most of that burden would fall to the GPU. So high resolutions and high settings that were out of reach before may be possible.

Another way to look at it is that you can get it to go as fast as possible now, and then upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM later. Or spend a little less on the GPU now and look at getting an entry level Ryzen, like a 3300X, with future upgrades in mind. A lot easier to sell recent model CPUs.

Can't really say more without more details about what you are trying to run.
Thank you for your reply. I'll be running games like Nier automata, Far cry 5 and War Thunder. I know bottle neck would always exists but I hope I can run these games at a higher quality. For example Ultra or High. I'm guessing by your reply I can run most of these games if I do set the graphics to high since that would put more usage into the GPU. I'm hoping to get 60+ FPS that would remain stable and contain a stable frame rate instead of dropping.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are above the minimum for all of those games, so that should all be relatively playable. A bit close on the CPU for Nier and Farcry, but not terrible.

1660 Super is more than enough for those games, so max settings should work. Some settings require a little more CPU than others, but not too much. Mostly the CPU is used to run the game's logic and engine.

Can pick up a i7-3770k for under $100, though not really worth it at this point. Might as well save up for a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. These days that might be under $200.

Solution