Question Will there be any glaring issues pairing a 3600 with an ASUS B450-f?

coltonwooten

Prominent
Sep 9, 2019
I chose the B450-F because I liked the onboard audio compared to the other B450 boards. In hindsight, that was a terrible factor to base a motherboard purchase on, and I learned too late that it didn't have BIOS flashback, but live and learn.

After researching its compatibility with a 3600, a few people have mentioned that the B450-F's VRMs overheat when OCing, to the point that the performance of octacore processors throttles.

Is the risk of overheating and something being damaged that severe that I should not take any chances and ship it back, or is it manageable with good airflow? The 3600 and motherboard will be sitting in a Cougar MX330 with the Wraith cooler it ships with, if that helps any.

It's still in its box and foil because I'm waiting for an Athlon 200ge to arrive, so I could return it if need be.

Well, the 3600 isn't going to draw quite as much as the 3700 or 3700x when overclocked, but if you plan on doing extreme overclocking then this isn't the CPU or motherboard for you. If you want to run it at stock you shouldn't have a problem. AMD has taken the approach of MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE with the 3000 series Ryzens, and it has worked out well for them. It hasn't worked out well for overclockers though as there isn't much headroom left to try to squeeze performance out of. As for overheating VRMs, airflow will help. Most people overclocking are using water cooling, which doesn't give ANY airflow around the socket. So, having a CPU fan will help a bit with it. As a final note, I wouldn't overclock too hard on the stock heatsink. It is a good heatsink, but will only handle a moderate overclock.

coltonwooten

Prominent
Sep 9, 2019
Well, the 3600 isn't going to draw quite as much as the 3700 or 3700x when overclocked, but if you plan on doing extreme overclocking then this isn't the CPU or motherboard for you. If you want to run it at stock you shouldn't have a problem. AMD has taken the approach of MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE with the 3000 series Ryzens, and it has worked out well for them. It hasn't worked out well for overclockers though as there isn't much headroom left to try to squeeze performance out of. As for overheating VRMs, airflow will help. Most people overclocking are using water cooling, which doesn't give ANY airflow around the socket. So, having a CPU fan will help a bit with it. As a final note, I wouldn't overclock too hard on the stock heatsink. It is a good heatsink, but will only handle a moderate overclock.

I see. I'm not an extreme overclocker, I just want to get a little more performance past the turbo boost, and if I can't do that, then I'm content with keeping it at 4.1 Ghz across all six cores.

What would a moderate overclock be for a 3600?

coltonwooten

Prominent
Sep 9, 2019
Enabling PBO and forgetting about it would be about as good as a "moderate" overclock gets as you'll need to get quite comfortable with tweaking everything manually to go more than 2-3% beyond that. (And in some cases, manual overclocking performs worse than PBO.)

Gotcha. So I've got a few questions:

- Unless I'm torture testing my build, then overheating VRMs on this board in particular shouldn't be a problem?

- Will PBO contribute to any overheating?

- Does the B450-F come with PBO?