[SOLVED] Will there be signal if i plug dvi into mobo with a gpu?

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
My father has an old hp desktop with a A10 5700 CPU. I plan on bringing my old 1060 and old corsair psu to do some light gaming for a week. The issue is, that his monitor only has a functional dvi port and the hdmi does not show signal last time I checked. Also my 1060 only has DP and HDMI. If I plug a dvi cable into the motherboard to the monitor but also plug in the gpu without any display cable, is there any way I can still get signal with the gpu still doing its job?

Solution
My father has an old hp desktop with a A10 5700 CPU. I plan on bringing my old 1060 and old corsair psu to do some light gaming for a week. The issue is, that his monitor only has a functional dvi port and the hdmi does not show signal last time I checked. Also my 1060 only has DP and HDMI. If I plug a dvi cable into the motherboard to the monitor but also plug in the gpu without any display cable, is there any way I can still get signal with the gpu still doing its job?
No. If you're plugged into the motherboard you'll get the APU signal only. If you want a signal from the 1060 you must be plugged in to it. You should be able to use a hdmi to dvi adapter. The power supply must also have the external PCIe power cables required...
No. If you're plugged into the motherboard you'll get the APU signal only. If you want a signal from the 1060 you must be plugged in to it. You should be able to use a hdmi to dvi adapter. The power supply must also have the external PCIe power cables required by the 1060 in order for it to operate.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 13, 2021

use a dp/hdmi -> dvi cable converter and connect the monitor to you vedio card , and also buy a new monitor with dp port (most of new monitor in the market have it) should be a nicer way to get the job done

fyi cable converter is pretty cheap

use a dp/hdmi -> dvi cable converter and connect the monitor to you vedio card , and also buy a new monitor with dp port (most of new monitor in the market have it) should be a nicer way to get the job done

fyi cable converter is pretty cheap
You forgot to mention that although cheap, it's the first thing to fail and that most of the time it causes more issues than solves them.

No. If you're plugged into the motherboard you'll get the APU signal only. If you want a signal from the 1060 you must be plugged in to it. You should be able to use a hdmi to dvi adapter. The power supply must also have the external PCIe power cables required by the 1060 in order for it to operate.
Actually there is a way to display from gpu when connected to mobo's output. Linus did it in a video when he used a mining gpu without any outputs. You just need windows 10.
View: https://youtu.be/TY4s35uULg4

In the video he uses another driver but that is only for that specific mining gpu. It's not needed for normal GPUs.