[SOLVED] Will these case fans do? Or am I cheaping out?

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I've got a decent list of parts for my build but I'm worried that I'm cheaping out on the case fans. I intend to do a little video editing and occasional 3D rendering, so it might get a little toasty now and again.

INTAKE:
The three stock fans that come mounted to the front of the Phanteks P400a D-RGB. I'm struggling to find what make/model these are so can't post specs. I'd love to hang on to these as it's what made me like the case, but if they're crappy them I could upgrade later.

EXHAUST:
I was given a couple of fans for free which I plan to use for 1 rear and 1 top exhaust. GameMax Razor. They're cheap! This is them:
http://www.gamemax.uk/index.php/products/cooling/razor-12cm-argb-fans/

Advertised specs (and they say they are PWM):
Bearing Type:​
Hydro Bearing
Fan Speed:​
1200rpm ± 10%
Max. Air Flow:​
60 CFM
Max. Static Air Pressure:​
2.01mm-H2O
Noise Level (max.):​
<26 dB(A)

QUESTIONS:
  • Would I get worthwhile gains by upgrading the case fans (especially the rear and top exhaust)?
  • CPU cooler is the Dark Rock 4 (non-pro) with single fan pushing air across. I'm a little worried that the tall heatspreaders on my Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB will be partially covering the fan. Will this be a non-issue? Is it worth adding a second fan for push/pull?
  • Should I consider any additional cooling not mentioned above?
Rest of build:
  • ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Wifi)
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
  • Patriot Viper VPN100 M2 NVMe 1TB
  • Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Xt Pulse 8GB
  • Corsair RM750x
Thanks a lot for any advice!

Solution
"Loads of air" (CFM) is primarily controlled by the diameter of the fan and the RPM. Sure, there are different blade designs that improve the efficiency a bit (usually for a sacrifice in static pressure), but generally a 1200rpm axial fan isn't going to have more CFM than a ~2500rpm one of the same size.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Would I get worthwhile gains by upgrading the case fans (especially the rear and top exhaust)?

"Upgrading" (as in replacing the stock fans)? Probably not. Adding to? Maybe.

Adding an exhaust should be a little beneficial - so I would add that to the stock fan setup and see how you fare.
Then you could add to the top and test too.

CPU cooler is the Dark Rock 4 (non-pro) with single fan pushing air across. I'm a little worried that the tall heatspreaders on my Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB will be partially covering the fan. Will this be a non-issue? Is it worth adding a second fan for push/pull?

Not likely to be an issue, no. However, you certainly could test and see (before and after) since you have extra fans on hand. I wouldn't expect much change at all though.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: davidbenpark

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
@Barty1884 @tennis2
Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and built everything using the 3 stock fans at the front and then one of the cheap fans as rear exhaust just to test it out. I'm happy with how everything is working - temps look good. I'll add in the second cheap fan on top once I figure out fan splitters/hubs etc.

Actually, the cheap fan is kicking out loads of air, I'm wondering if I might have found a gem with this one. It seems way more effective than the 140mm case fan that came with my previous NZXT H440.

"Loads of air" (CFM) is primarily controlled by the diameter of the fan and the RPM. Sure, there are different blade designs that improve the efficiency a bit (usually for a sacrifice in static pressure), but generally a 1200rpm axial fan isn't going to have more CFM than a ~2500rpm one of the same size.

Last edited:
Solution