[SOLVED] Will these components cause a "bottleneck"?

Dec 28, 2020
Hello! I've been looking to upgrade my CPU lately as it truly isn't performing very well in many VR games I've been trying to play. So I found a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X for a very decent price, my question is with my current 1650 Super... would this matchup cause a bottleneck that would cause any problem's?

Specs:
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
32GB 3200Mhz Ram
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
GeForce GTX 1650 Super

Solution
D
Hello! I've been looking to upgrade my CPU lately as it truly isn't performing very well in many VR games I've been trying to play. So I found a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X for a very decent price, my question is with my current 1650 Super... would this matchup cause a bottleneck that would cause any problem's?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
GeForce GTX 1650 Super

I'd upgrade both... VR really needs both a solid CPU and GPU for the best experience. I have the Reverb G2 and Quest 2... previously the Rift CV1. You can get by with lesser hardware but it will lessen the experience... obviously.

Finding GPUs isn't fun right now unfortunately... CPUs are a little easier unless you're looking for the top AMD chips.

Specs:
32GB 3200Mhz Ram
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
GeForce GTX 1650 Super
Bottleneck......no......it will give you more cpu muscle when needed.
Make sure you have at least a decent 500w psu.

Specs:
32GB 3200Mhz Ram
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
GeForce GTX 1650 Super

How do you know the CPU is the issue and not the video card? A 1650 Super is a nice card, but to get good results for VR you need smooth high refresh rate ability which that chard can fall short of.

Going from a Ryzen 3 to a 9 is a huge step up, but since you are changing it specifically for some games, have you done some benchmarking and tracking usage to make sure it's the CPU you need to upgrade?

Dec 28, 2020
How do you know the CPU is the issue and not the video card? A 1650 Super is a nice card, but to get good results for VR you need smooth high refresh rate ability which that chard can fall short of.

Going from a Ryzen 3 to a 9 is a huge step up, but since you are changing it specifically for some games, have you done some benchmarking and tracking usage to make sure it's the CPU you need to upgrade?
I've been playing a lot of games and have noticed stuttering and defiantly high CPU usage and temps, I'm almost certain my CPU is lacking because in any physics heavy game i'll get choppy fps and extremely low fps and most of the time odd visual artifacts. I have not run any tests though. I have noticed just In general my CPU lacks in many areas, my GPU can hold it's own for now.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
GeForce GTX 1650 Super

I'd upgrade both... VR really needs both a solid CPU and GPU for the best experience. I have the Reverb G2 and Quest 2... previously the Rift CV1. You can get by with lesser hardware but it will lessen the experience... obviously.

Finding GPUs isn't fun right now unfortunately... CPUs are a little easier unless you're looking for the top AMD chips.

Solution
Dec 28, 2020

Yeah agreed, currently I'm planning on upgrading my CPU in about 2 months from now. Possibly a few months after that I'm planning on also upgrading my GPU to something in the 30 Series when prices hopefully stabilize. I'm only using a Quest 2 and don't play the most demanding VR games but that could change in the future. Thank's for responding guys.